Consultation Regulation Impact Statement
On 12 February 2021, the Department published the Reform of the Disability Standards for Accessible Public Transport: Consultation Regulation Impact Statement (Consultation RIS.) The Consultation RIS included regulatory and non-regulatory reform options for 16 areas of the Disability Standards for Accessible Public Transport 2002 (Transport Standards).
The Consultation RIS was open for public feedback until 23 April 2021.
The full Consultation RIS and a summary are available here:
- Reform of the Disability Standards for Accessible Public Transport: Consultation Regulation Impact Statement DOCX: 1512 KB PDF: 1848 KB
- Consultation Regulation Impact Statement Summary DOCX: 112 KB PDF: 198 KB
Click here to view translations and other formats
The Department sought public feedback on whether the proposed reform options will improve public transport accessibility for people with disability and whether they will enhance the public transport experience for all Australians.
Public submissions to the Consultation RIS are now available.
Decision Regulation Impact Statement
Following the close of the consultation period, the Department developed a Decision Regulation Impact Statement (Decision RIS) that outlines the options for reform, findings from the public consultation and provides illustrative costs and benefits for each reform option.
The Decision RIS will be considered by Transport Ministers in December 2021.
Stage 1 Consultation
Members of the public were able to provide feedback to the Stage 1 Consultation RIS through a number of ways, including:
- Via email or written submission to DisabilityTransport@infrastructure.gov.au
- Verbally through the Disability Standards feedback line on 02 6274 6188
- Completing an online survey
- By participating in an online consultation forum.
16 Areas of Reform
Stage 1 of the reform process identified 16 areas of reform, based on consultation with the disability community, governments and the public transport industry.
To find out more about any of our reform areas, download one of our fact sheets below:
- Staff training and communication DOCX: 379 KB PDF: 166 KB
- Mobility aid safety DOCX: 379 KB PDF: 186 KB
- Priority seating DOCX: 379 KB PDF: 165 KB
- Allocated spaces in transit DOCX: 379 KB PDF: 165 KB
- Digital information screens DOCX: 379 KB PDF: 165 KB
- Lifts DOCX: 379 KB PDF: 170 KB
- Website accessibility DOCX: 379 KB PDF: 164 KB
- Communication during service disruption DOCX: 379 KB PDF: 166 KB
- Gangways DOCX: 380 KB PDF: 165 KB
- Assistance animal toileting facilities DOCX: 381 KB PDF: 166 KB
- Emergency egress DOCX: 380 KB PDF: 165 KB
- Fit for purpose accessway DOCX: 380 KB PDF: 166 KB
- Wayfinding DOCX: 379 KB PDF: 164 KB
- Tactile ground surface indicators DOCX: 379 KB PDF: 165 KB
- Passenger loading areas DOCX: 379 KB PDF: 186 KB
- Multiple formats of information DOCX: 381 KB PDF: 165 KB
Consultation RIS Summary Translations and other formats
A summary of the Consultation RIS is available in easy English here:
- Easy English - Tell us what you think DOCX: 2123 KB PDF: 685 KB
- Easy English - Tell us what you think DOCX: 6445 KB PDF: 1735 KB
A summary of the Consultation RIS is available in the following languages:
- Arabic DOCX: 24 KB PDF: 155 KB
- Simplified Chinese DOCX: 24 KB PDF: 191 KB
- Traditional Chinese DOCX: 24 KB PDF: 204 KB
- Farsi DOCX: 25 KB PDF: 165 KB
- Greek DOCX: 30 KB PDF: 168 KB
- Italian DOCX: 29 KB PDF: 138 KB
- Khmer DOCX: 32 KB PDF: 181 KB
- Korean DOCX: 54 KB PDF: 260 KB
- Spanish DOCX: 27 KB PDF: 113 KB
- Vietnamese DOCX: 33 KB PDF: 242 KB