Per- and poly- fluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) investigations were initiated on Norfolk Island after a CSIRO-led assessment of water resources identified PFAS in the Mission Creek water catchment in 2019. Senversa was engaged by the department to undertake a Detailed Environmental Investigation of PFAS at the Norfolk Island Airport and surrounding catchments.
The PFAS Detailed Environmental Investigation process consisted of a Preliminary Site Investigation, a Detailed Site Investigation and a Human Health and Ecological Risk Assessment. The reports are accessible through the links below. The Investigation identified the nature and extent of PFAS in the local environment related to the historical use of firefighting foams at Norfolk Island International Airport and potential exposure risks to people and the environment.
As the Detailed Environmental Investigation is now complete, the next phase is management and remediation to mitigate the potential risks. A PFAS Management Plan was drafted, providing a roadmap for response management of potential PFAS risks to avoid or minimise human and ecological exposure to PFAS. An Ongoing PFAS Monitoring Plan is being implemented to inform the Management Plan with the initial round of monitoring to occur in the first half of 2022.
Keeping the community informed
The department is committed to regularly updating the community throughout PFAS management and remediation. An interactive microsite was utilised to deliver the final investigation reports over the period 14th February – 4th March 2022. A static version (i.e. no longer interactive) of the microsite text is accessible through the links below.
The department website will be updated as management and remediation progresses. Community information sessions, direct mail and information sheets will occur as needed. Enquiries or requests relating to individual properties will continue to be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
For additional information
- Detailed Site Investigation Report – Executive Summary PDF: 217 KB
- Detailed Site Investigation Report – Main Report PDF KB: 21284 KB
- Detailed Site Investigation Report – Appendices PDF: 29234 KB
- Detailed Site Investigation Report – Tables PDF: 15333 KB
- Human Health and Ecological Risk Assessment – Executive Summary PDF: 244 KB
- Human Health and Ecological Risk Assessment – Main Report PDF: 17402 KB
- Human Health and Ecological Risk Assessment – Attachments PDF: 9143KB
- Norfolk Island PFAS Investigation – Microsite Information PDF: 17774 KB
- Preliminary Site Investigation – Executive Summary PDF: 631 KB
- Norfolk Island PFAS Preliminary Site Investigation – Full Report PDF: 51170 KB
- Fact Sheet - Norfolk Island PFAS Preliminary Site Investigation 10 March 2021 PDF: 291 KB
- Fact sheet - Norfolk Island PFAS 10 March 2021 PDF: 245 KB
- Media Release - PFAS Preliminary Site Investigation Report and community sessions
- Departmental fact sheet 1 PDF: 291 KB
- Departmental fact sheet 2 PDF: 372 KB
- Departmental fact sheet 3—15 January 2020 PDF: 561 KB
- Department of Health fact sheet PDF: 144 KB
- Media Release - Response to PFAS detection on Norfolk Island
- Media Release - Update on PFAS detection on Norfolk Island
- Media Release - Community engagement on Norfolk Island PFAS environmental investigation
- Media Release - Progress on Norfolk Island PFAS Environmental Investigation
- Media Release - Norfolk Island PFAS update
- Media Release - Norfolk Island PFAS response – final community sessions