This page gives a step-by-step overview of the process for importing a road vehicle into Australia. The process involves multiple government agencies. You should familiarise yourself with each agency’s requirements before importing a vehicle into Australia.
If you are unsure whether your vehicle is a road vehicle or not, visit the not a road vehicle page.
1. Conduct research
- Is the vehicle eligible to enter Australia?
- Which approval type should I apply for?
- What costs are involved? (e.g. shipping, storage, delivery, approval application, taxes, Customs duties, cleaning for quarantine purposes, asbestos testing/removal, quarantine inspection costs, modification costs, State or Territory registration and insurance requirements, etc.)
- What are the time frames involved for getting the approval and completing other necessary arrangements?
- What documentation do I need?
- What does each government agency require?
- Do I need to use a broker?
- Will I need to have modifications done to meet national road vehicle standards (Australian Design Rules)?
- What risks are involved with importing a vehicle?
2. Apply for an approval to import a vehicle
- Create an account in ROVER (if not already registered)
- Complete the online application form
- Pay the application fee
3. Receive approval to import a vehicle
- Receive email with approval attached
- Approval may contain conditions for use of the vehicle
- Government agency: Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development, Communications and the Arts
4. Arrange shipping of a vehicle
- Before shipping, ensure vehicle is steam cleaned inside and outside to remove any materials that may pose a quarantine risk
- Before shipping, ensure any air-conditioning gas is removed, if necessary
- Arrange for asbestos testing and removal, if necessary
- Government Agencies: Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry, Department of Climate Change, Energy, the Environment, Water
5. Get Customs clearance
6. Meet Australian quarantine requirements
- Lodge a Quarantine Entry with the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry
- Arrange inspection appointment (you or your broker may need to be present)
- Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry
7. Meet approval conditions
- Arrange for modification of vehicle, if necessary
- Conduct testing and develop evidence of compliance, if required
- Apply for entry on the Register of Approval Vehicles (RAV), if necessary
8. Register the vehicle
- Apply to register the vehicle in the relevant State or Territory (if you intend using the vehicle on a public road)