The Office of Future Transport Technology in the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications provides strategic leadership to support the safe and legal deployment of future land transport technologies, including connected and automated vehicles and cooperative intelligent transport systems (C-ITS). These technologies bring with them opportunities to improve transport safety, accessibility, productivity and sustainability.
We lead and coordinate the Commonwealth’s work on future land transport technologies in areas such as:
- First supply and in-service automated vehicle law
- The National Land Transport Technology Action Plan
- Research into future land transport technologies and their potential benefits
- Physical and digital infrastructure to support future land transport technologies
- Data security and data management
- International regulations and standards for connected and automated vehicles
- Laws and regulations to protect Australians' rights
Future transport technologies for rail, aviation and maritime are outside the Office of Future Transport Technology’s remit. A list of other Australian Government initiatives related to future transport technologies is available.
If you have any questions about us or would like more information about our work, please contact email@example.com.