In December 2021, the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) auctioned low‑band spectrum in the 850 MHz expansion band and 900 MHz band. This auction made an additional 22 MHz of spectrum available for wireless broadband in the 850 MHz band and reallocated 50 MHz of spectrum in the 900 MHz band.
Two bidders, Telstra and Optus, were successful in securing 20 year licences across the 72 MHz of spectrum available in the auction. This low-band spectrum will support deployment of 4G and 5G networks across Australia. All of the available spectrum sold for a total amount of $2.092 billion.
Find out more
- ACMA announcement of the 850/900 MHz auction outcome
- Minister announces allocation limits for 850/900 MHz auction
- 850/900 MHz Auction Allocation Limits Exposure Draft
- Improving spectrum for national mobile networks
- 850 and 900 MHz spectrum bands policy objectives
- Radiocommunications (Spectrum Re-allocation—850/900 MHz Band) Declaration
- Radiocommunications (Spectrum Licence Limits—850/900 MHz Band) Direction 2021