Coronavirus (COVID-19) updates from the Australian Government

NBN frequently asked questions

Do I need to move my internet and home phone to the NBN?

All Australians will have the opportunity to move to the NBN.

You can check your address to find out what technology your area will receive and when the NBN will be available.

If your home or business is in a fixed line technology area, you will need to move to the NBN to retain your internet and home phone connection. If your home or business is in a fixed wireless or satellite area, you may move to nbn or keep using your existing internet service and landline connection.

For more information on the technologies used in the rollout, visit the nbn website.

How do I move?

Once the NBN has reached your area, you can order a service through your preferred phone or internet retail services provider.

After you have checked your address through the NBN website, NBN provides a link to a list of providers offering services in your area.

If you are in a fixed line area, you will have 18 months to move to the nbn from the time your area is declared ‘ready for service’. NBN and your current service provider will be in contact with more information as the network rolls out in your area.

How much will installation of the NBN cost?

Standard NBN installation is free of charge. This applies during the 18 month period after the NBN is declared ‘ready for service’ in your area. Additional charges may apply if your home or business requires upgrades to wiring or cabling or if you want a non-standard installation.

You should ask your service provider if there will be any additional fees or equipment needed to connect your premises to the nbn. Some providers offer a professional installation of their equipment, which may incur charges.

If additional wiring or cabling is required, you may need to arrange for a registered cabler (a person who holds a current cabling registration) to undertake this work. The Registered Cablers website has details of registered cablers.

How much do NBN services cost?

The cost of NBN services will vary between service providers. You are encouraged to shop around to find the plan that best suits your needs.

A number of websites are available to help compare plans, including, WhistleOut and YouCompare.

If you are in receipt of a Centrelink payment or a Department of Veterans Affairs concession, you may be entitled to the Commonwealth Telephone Allowance.

Do you only need a phone service?

If you use a telephone service without internet (known as a 'voice only' service), you will still need to move this service to the NBN if you live in a fixed line area. You can check what technology your area will receive through nbn’s check your address function.

You should contact your preferred phone or internet service provider to discuss how voice only services can be provided over the NBN.

Can I keep my phone number?

In most cases, you should be able to keep your existing telephone number when moving to the NBN. You should advise your preferred phone or internet retail service provider that you would like to keep your number when ordering your nbn service. This is known as ‘porting’ your number.

Your phone and internet service provider should be able to give you advice on porting your number to make sure your phone service is not disconnected.

What if I have special features or over-the-top services on my current phone connection?

When you order your NBN service you will need to tell your phone or internet service provider if you have Priority Assistance status, any enhanced call features or other over-the-top services you want to migrate.

Enhanced call features may include:

  • privacy protection measures, such as silent numbers, calling number display and calling number display blocking
  • call waiting
  • call forwarding
  • call barring.

Over-the-top services may include:

  • medical alarms
  • lift emergency phones
  • monitored fire alarms
  • monitored security alarm systems
  • ATMs and EFTPOS machines
  • fax machine & teletypewriter (TTY) devices.

Priority Assistance status is given to customers diagnosed with life-threatening medical conditions who require a reliable home phone connection. If you are already classified as a Priority Assistance customer with your provider, you should ask to move your status when you migrate your services to the NBN.

What if I have a medical alarm?

If you have a medical alarm at your premises, find out more information and register your details on nbn's Medical Alarm Register.

Do you need to move a monitored fire alarm or lift phone to the NBN?

If you have a monitored fire alarm and/or lift phone at your premises, find out more information in our frequently asked questions and register your details on nbn's Fire and Lift Register.

Detailed information for building owners/managers and industry can be found in the Migration of monitored fire alarm and lift phone services good practice guide. The Guide sets out what parties involved in the migration of monitored fire alarms and lift phones need to do, options for migration paths, and other relevant considerations.

What happens if I don't move to the NBN?

You have 18 months to move your home phone and internet services to the NBN once it is available in your area if you have a fixed line connection. If you don’t connect within this time, your services supplied over the old network will be disconnected soon after the end of the 18-month period. This is known as the disconnection date.

There is no disconnection date for fixed wireless and satellite areas, as Telstra will continue to maintain its network in these areas.

If you choose not to connect to the nbn you will need to consider using an alternative communications platform, such as a mobile network.

What happens if I have a query about my NBN service?

If you have any questions about your NBN service, as a customer you should first contact your phone and internet retail service provider. Your service provider is best placed to resolve any query about the installation, activation and service performance of your service.

If you are dissatisfied with the response you receive from your service provider, you can raise a complaint with the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman (TIO) on their website or by calling 1800 062 058. The TIO is a free and independent dispute resolution body for consumers with unresolved complaints about their phone or internet services.

What speeds can I expect over the NBN?

Under the Government’s Statement of Expectations, the NBN network must deliver a minimum peak wholesale download speed of 25 megabits per second (Mbps) to all premises and at least 50 Mbps to 90 per cent of all fixed-line services as soon as possible.

To provide a safeguard for consumers, nbn performs a service qualification check on each line when an order is placed to ensure that service providers only sell a speed that the network is capable of delivering.

A number of factors beyond nbn’s control may affect broadband speeds over the network. These include:

  • how the provider designs its service to run over the infrastructure;
  • how much capacity the retailer buys from nbn;
  • your in-home set-up, including end user equipment and wiring;
  • congestion on the internet site visited.

Video streaming services can also be impacted by the content management system that supports the stream and how it is compressed for viewing.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission will be monitoring internet speeds through the Broadband Performance Monitoring and Reporting program to measure real time speeds over the NBN.

Find out more

Additional information from NBN Co.