Driver licensing

Under Australia's federated system, transport responsibilities are distributed between the Commonwealth Government and state and territory governments.

The responsibility for the regulation and enforcement of road use, including light vehicle driver licensing, rests with the state and territory governments.

Australian licence holders seeking recognition of their Australian licence in foreign countries should contact the Australian Embassy or High Commission in those countries for further information.

Austroads, as the association of Australia and New Zealand roads, transport and traffic authorities, has a program that considers licensing practices across Australian jurisdictions, including recognition of foreign licences within Australia. Further information can be obtained from the Austroads website.