Our work connects, and enriches every Australian community, underpins our economy and society, and empowers our regions. We provide strategic policy advice, fit-for-purpose regulation, and deliver programs, projects and services in the major infrastructure, transport, communications and arts sectors, supporting our regions, cities and territories.
Our strategic objectives are:
- Connecting and linking Australians by supporting reliable, safe and efficient aviation, shipping, road, rail, media and communications sectors. We also design the policy framework and support the delivery of safe, secure, high-quality and accessible online environments and telecommunication services for all Australians, no matter where they live. We facilitate freight and passenger movement, and connect Australian businesses and consumers with domestic and international markets.
- Enriching our communities through creating productive, liveable and vibrant cities and regions; Supporting a thriving arts sector and embedding Australian stories and identity in our cultural experiences; Protecting and celebrating Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture, heritage and language; Enabling communities to access local voices and stories; and ensuring a safe, rich and trusted digital environment for all Australians.
- Empowering our regions by stimulating growth, creating jobs, maximising economic opportunities and community amenities, across regional Australia. We support good governance and better access to services in the territories, increasing water capacity in our regions to support sustainable economic development, infrastructure, tourism and agriculture, and creating opportunities for people to access reliable phone and internet services so they have choices about where to live and work, growing equality of opportunity.
Our priorities are:
- Regional development – Improving living standards and facilitating economic growth in cities and regions, including northern Australia.
- Transport connectivity – Supporting an efficient, sustainable, safe and accessible transport system and jobs through infrastructure investment.
- Communications connectivity – Enabling Australians to connect to effective, safe communications services and fostering investment in communication technologies, for inclusiveness and sustainable economic growth.
- Territories – Providing governance frameworks and services to support communities in the territories.
- Creativity and culture – Supporting sustainable and inclusive creative and cultural sectors, and protecting and promoting Australian content and culture.
- Water infrastructure – Supporting regional growth and resilience through building water infrastructure that improves water availability, connectivity, reliability and security for agricultural and other primary industry users.