Until 1 July 2021, the MVSA and Motor Vehicle Standards Regulations 1989 made it an offence to import, sell or present new or used imported vehicles to the Australian market for the first time unless they met the National Standards, except in circumstances where an exemption has been granted by the Administrator of Vehicle Standards.
On 1 July 2021 the Road Vehicle Standards Act 2018 replaced the Motor Vehicle Standards Act 1989. Information on applying for an approval under the RVSA is available at Road Vehicle Standards laws.
On 1 July 2021 a transitional period from the MVSA to the RVSA began for certain segments of the industry. This transitional period will end on 30 June 2023.
These transitional arrangements involve:
- Identification Plate Approval (IPA) holders
- registered automotive workshops (RAWs)
- specialist and enthusiast vehicles
- vehicles with an MVSA import approval
- low ATM trailers (trailers with an aggregate trailer mass less than or equal to 4.5 tonnes).
More detailed information is on Transitional arrangements.
All approval applications for RVSA approvals are managed through ROVER which integrates all applications and approvals under the RVS legislation. Before submitting an application you must first create an account.