On 13 February 2019, the Hon Michael McCormack MP, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Development, made the Road Vehicle Standards Rules 2019 (the Rules), under the Road Vehicle Standards Act 2018 (RVSA).
Access the Road Vehicle Standards Rules 2019
The Road Vehicle Standards Rules 2019 are available on the Federal Register of Legislation.
To assist in understanding the difference between the exposure draft of the Rules and the latest version of the Rules, the department has prepared:
- a document outlining the key changes between the exposure draft of the Rules and the final version of the Rules DOCX: 447 KB
- a document that identifies how the section numbers and titles have changed PDF: 86 KB
The RVSA implements the Australian Government's reforms to the regulatory framework for the safety, environmental and anti-theft performance of all road vehicles being provided to the Australian market for the first time—both new and used.
The Rules prescribe matters relating to the regulation of road vehicles and road vehicle components.
What the Rules cover
The Rules cover the operational aspects of the RVSA, including:
- the information to be included on the Register of Approved Vehicles (the RAV)
- the requirements of the two entry pathways—the type approval pathway and the concessional RAV entry approval pathway
- granting approvals for each pathway
- granting registered automotive workshop approvals
- granting approvals for Model Reports
- granting authorised vehicle verifier approvals
- granting testing facility approvals
- entering vehicles on the Specialist and Enthusiast Vehicles Register
- granting of approvals to permit the importation of road vehicles into Australia
- granting of road vehicle component type approvals
- detailing powers to vary, suspend or revoke approvals
- establishing a new framework for the recall of road vehicles and approved road vehicle components
- publication of approvals and their variation, suspension or revocation.