Register your interest to receive updates and information about our Entry Level Programs here.
2023 Stepping Into Winter applications are now open. Applications close on 2 April 2023
2023–24 Science Policy Fellowship applications have now closed. 2024-25 applications will open in February 2024.
2023-24 University Vacation Employment Program applications will open from July 2023.
2024 APS HR School Leaver Program applications will open from August 2023.
2024 Career Starter Program applications will open from July 2023.
2024 Indigenous Apprenticeships Program applications will open from October 2023.
2022–23 Australian Government Apprenticeship Program applications are now closed. Applications for 2023–24 will open from April 2023.
We are looking for motivated people who want to take up the opportunity to join the Australian Public Service and make a real difference to the lives of all Australians.
We lead the Australian Government's efforts to secure the nation's economic future, improve living standards and connect our communities.
We build stronger communities and a stronger nation by ensuring our infrastructure, transport and communications systems are fit for purpose today and into the future. We also work to support and protect our unique cultural heritage and ensure all Australians can enjoy diverse artistic and cultural experiences.
We are committed to supporting and engaging with First Nations staff and communities. This is demonstrated in our recently launched Innovate Reconciliation Action Plan 2022-2024.
In 2019, Diversity Council Australia recognised us as an inclusive employer for our diversity measures.
If you are seeking an opportunity to join a dynamic department doing meaningful work that enriches our nation's communities, empowers our regions and leaves a positive impact for generations to come, we encourage you to apply for one of our entry level programs.
We have a range of Entry Level Programs:
- The APS HR School Leaver Program provides an opportunity for Year 12 graduates to enter a Human Resource (HR) career in the Australian Public Service (APS). It is a 12-month pilot program run by the Australian Public Service Commission.
- The Career Starter Program is an award-winning entry level program run through the Department of Finance for students who have recently completed Year 12. As a Career Starter, you will have a full time permanent job with a competitive starting salary in the APS.
- Our University Vacation Employment Program is an internship run over the summer university break for current university students. It provides interns with the opportunity to work across a diverse range of portfolio areas and gain experience in program management, policy development, finance, media and communications or corporate.
- The Australian Government Apprenticeship Program is a pilot program designed to attract a broad talent pool who are wanting to kickstart their career, re-join the workforce, or take their career in a new direction. Participants have the opportunity to undertake a Diploma of Government through the 12 month program.
- The Stepping Into Program is a national initiative by the Australian Network on Disability which offers practical paid work experience for successful students with disability who may face significant obstacles in gaining employment. The program brings together participating employers with skilled and talented university students with disability seeking jobs and creates a talent pipeline that actively builds diversity and inclusion.
- The Summer Stepping Into Program and University Vacation Employment Program are run at the same time, providing an extended cohort for support.
- The Indigenous Apprenticeships Program is a pathway for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to start their career in the APS. The program is run by Services Australia and aims to equip apprentices with the skills to achieve a successful career in the APS including undertaking a Certificate IV or a Diploma qualification. This program won the Stan Grant Indigenous Employment Award at the 2018 Australian HR Institute Awards!
- The Science Policy Fellowship is an initiative of the Office of the Chief Scientist that aims to grow the diversity of expertise in the Australian Public Service workforce. It provides a pathway for early- to mid-career scientists to become skilled policy practitioners.
Explore career opportunities
Find out more about the work we do and what might interest you by clicking on the below links.
- Media, Technology & Communications
Come chat with us!
2023 Career Expos: Dates to be confirmed.