Television, radio, internet, phone and post – Australians communicate in lots of different ways. We foster an innovative and competitive communications sector so all Australians can access these services whether they live in urban, regional or remote areas. Work on high profile and emerging issues and help to shape Australia’s digital future.
- Developing policy for broadband, mobile connectivity, media and online security.
- Setting the course for the nation’s digital future including the National Broadband Network rollout.
- Advising the Government on spectrum and telecommunications deployment policy matters.
- Implementing the Government's Enhanced Electromagnetic Energy Program.
- Developing and delivering reforms to the powers and immunities framework that telecommunications companies use to deploy and maintain telecommunications facilities, and provide for the efficient, cost-effective and nationally consistent construction and maintenance of their telecommunications networks.
- Advising the Government on national communications including telecommunication complaints handling, the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman, and rules for sales, customer service, billing, and financial hardship.
- Providing strategic advice on broadcasting content issues, copyright issues, media reform and the media industry, including media diversity, sustainability of news and media businesses, media market competition and national and community broadcasting.
- Developing policy options to support Australian stories on our screens in a modern, multi-platform environment.
If you'd like to find out more about this portfolio area, visit our Media, technology and communications section.
Explore career opportunities
Find out more about the work we do and what might interest you by clicking on the below links.