Did you know that 99% of Australia’s exports and imports are transported by sea? The wellbeing of our economy and every single Australian depends on our maritime sector keeping us connected to the world. Help us protect the safety of seafarers and our marine environment and keep our economy sailing smoothly!
- Delivering on key initiatives of the Government – a strategic fleet and decarbonisation of Australia’s transport sector.
- Providing well researched and assessed policy advice to the Government to improve maritime safety, trade, emissions and the marine environment.
- Ensuring the Australian community has regular and reliable access to competitive import and export transport services.
- Supporting Australia’s international maritime policy development and negotiations on marine environment protection and greenhouse gas emissions reduction.
- Implementing international maritime conventions through domestic legislation.
If you'd like to find out more about this portfolio area, visit our Maritime section.
Explore career opportunities
Find out more about the work we do and what might interest you by clicking on the below links.