Developing northern Australia
Northern Australia is a diverse and vibrant region rich in opportunities to drive growth in jobs and investment for the benefit of all Australians.
A strong and prosperous north is critical to Australia's economic future.
The Australian Government's 2015 Our North, Our Future: White Paper on Developing Northern Australia laid the foundations for economic growth to maximise northern Australia's potential.
The White Paper sets out the long-term policy vision for northern Australia's sustainable economic development. The White Paper provides the framework for our plan to build a strong, prosperous economy and a safe, secure Australia.
Northern Australia is defined as all of the Northern Territory and those parts of Queensland and Western Australia north of the Tropic of Capricorn.
Realising the vision of a stronger north requires a long-term commitment and united efforts across government, industry and the community.
The Minister for Agriculture and Northern Australia, the Hon David Littleproud MP, and Special Envoy for Northern Australia, Senator Susan McDonald lead the northern Australia agenda, setting the foundations for investment and sustainable economic growth.
The Office of Northern Australia is actively implementing the Australian Government's northern agenda, in close collaboration with a diverse range of partners.
- Northern Australia Infrastructure Facility (NAIF) provides states and territories with financial assistance for northern infrastructure projects.
- Cooperative Research Centre for Developing Northern Australia (CRCNA) funds industry-led research to develop new technologies, products and services in the north.
- The Northern Australia Indigenous Reference Group was established in 2017 to provide advice to the Australian and northern jurisdictional governments on Indigenous economic advancement in northern Australia. The group ensures the interests of Indigenous land owners, communities and businesses is represented in the northern Australia agenda. Members have high-level expertise and experience across a range of industries, sectors and regions, rather than specific organisations or communities.
Northern Australia Development Program
The Northern Australia Development Program (NADP) is an exciting new $111.9 million program designed to help grow businesses and industries in northern Australia.
Open to small to large businesses, including Indigenous businesses, the NADP will fund up to 50 per cent of the total cost of individual projects through two simultaneous grant streams:
- Stream 1: targeting small to medium businesses with expansion and diversification grants of between $50,000 and $2 million
- Stream 2: targeting larger businesses with grants between $3 million and $10 million to establish a new industry or significantly grow the value of an existing industry, contributing to transformational change in a region.
The NADP will be supported by a specialised business advisory service to help grow and strengthen successful businesses in a strategic way.
Eligibility guidelines are available at business.gov.au/NADP. The first round of the NADP will open 4 November 2021 and close 10 December 2021. Grants will be awarded from February 2022.
- Northern Australia Development Program Information sheet PDF: 203 KB
The Australian Government's Our North, Our Future: White Paper on Developing Northern Australia was released in 2015 and sets out the priorities to drive growth in Australia's north. It's a 20-year plan for investment and collaborative support to grow the north through:
- simpler land arrangements to support investment
- developing the north’s water resources
- business, trade and investment
- infrastructure to support growth
- the northern workforce
- good governance
- Our North, Our Future: White Paper on Developing Northern Australia DOCX: 12948 KB PDF: 15251 KB
- Our North, Our Future: White Paper Overview PDF: 2024 KB
The Green Paper on Developing Northern Australia built on the government's agenda for northern Australia and informed the 2015 Our North, Our Future: White Paper on Developing Northern Australia. The north is a region that holds many opportunities but faces significant economic, social, geographic and environmental challenges. Unlocking the north's potential will strengthen the economy and promote jobs growth for Australia.
The paper sought to facilitate feedback on opportunities, risks, challenges and policy options to drive growth in the north.
- Our North, Our Future Implementation Report 2018 DOCX: 5791 KB PDF: 14938 KB
- Our North, Our Future Implementation Report 2017 DOCX: 2508 KB PDF: 9609 KB
Statements and agreements
- Minister for Northern Australia - 2020 Annual Statement to Parliament PDF: 168 KB
- Minister for Northern Australia - 2019 Annual Statement to Parliament PDF: 134 KB
- Minister for Northern Australia - 2018 Annual Statement to Parliament PDF: 246 KB
- Minister for Northern Australia - 2017 Annual Statement to Parliament PDF: 129 KB
- Minister for Northern Australia - 2016 Annual Statement to Parliament PDF: 124 KB
- Development Statement for Northern Australia - 2018 PDF: 774 KB
- Defence Statement for Northern Australia - 2018 PDF: 648 KB
- Northern Australia Indigenous Development Accord
- Developing Northern Australia PDF: 2996 KB
This detailed, full-colour map of Northern Australia has been designed to support development in the north. It also available in high resolution.
The map shows population centres, topographic features, local climates, geographic boarders, mineral and energy deposits, petroleum gas fields, major infrastructure projects, and the latest Native Title Determinations and Indigenous Land Use Agreements.
The Office of Northern Australia developed this map in partnership with Geoscience Australia.
For printed copies email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Connect with us
Subscribe to Our North, Our Future e-Newsletter
Receive regular news from the Office of Northern Australia about developing northern Australia and opportunities and events across the region.
See previous issues
- Twitter, AusGov Northern Australia @OfficeNorthAus
- LinkedIn – Office of Northern Australia
Follow our official hashtags #developingnorthernaustralia #ournorthourfuture
Watch the Office of Northern Australia channel for progress in the developing northern Australia agenda.