The 2022 Review of the Disability Standards for Accessible Public Transport 2002 discussion paper was publicly released for consultation on 22 December 2022.
Public consultation is open until 30 June 2023.
Survey—have your say
Complete a 15 minute survey to tell us your experience accessing public transport.
- If you use public transport, click here to complete a survey
- If you are a public transport operator or provider, click here to complete a survey
Webinar (7 March 2023)
The Department held a Webinar on 7 March 2023 to provide an opportunity for people to hear more about the Transport Standards and key aspects of the Review. You can watch the video recording below.
The Transport Standards provide requirements for public transport operators and providers to make their services accessible and remove discrimination for people with disability.
Every 5 years, the Minister for Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Development, in consultation with the Attorney-General, is required to review the efficiency and effectiveness of the Transport Standards. The review must:
- report on the effectiveness and efficiency of the Transport Standards
- report on whether discrimination has been removed as far as possible
- include any necessary amendments to the Transport Standards.
Since the release of the Transport Standards there have been 3 reviews. For more information on past reviews, see the Reviews of the Transport Standards page.
Have your say
People with disability are strongly encouraged to share their public transport experiences, so we can take a step towards improving the effectiveness of the Transport Standards. Family members, carers and advocates, public transport operators and providers, and state or territory governments are also encouraged to share their experiences.
The discussion paper includes including questions to help you provide input. You don't have to answer all of the questions, they are a guide to help us understand your views and experiences on different areas of the Transport Standards. You are encouraged to share any other experiences that are important to you.
You can have your say by:
- uploading a submission at the Have Your Say webpage
- in writing, by video or by sending an audio recording to DisabilityTransport@infrastructure.gov.au
- by telephone on 1800 621 372
- by completing a survey.
With your feedback, we will develop a review report. If we find the Transport Standards are not working well, or where particular areas of improvement could be made, we will make recommendations on what needs to change and how to change it. The review report will be provided to the Minister for Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government and the Attorney-General in late-2023.
- Easy English—Review of the disability standards for accessible public transport—Australian Government
- The discussion paper has been translated into the following languages:
- The discussion paper has been translated into Auslan. Watch the video here:
- Frequently Asked Questions
For more information, please get in touch: DisabilityTransport@infrastructure.gov.au.