Date: 21 January 2021
The Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) has issued a number of Tropical Cyclone Advices overnight. As a result of the advice, the Cocos Emergency Management Executive Committee met this morning to discuss and provide the following information:
- The Lagoon will be closed
- Sydney Highway is open to critical staff only
- The South End Road is closed
- Cyclone Shelters will not be opened at this stage.
CKI can continue to expect strong north-westerly winds, intermittent gales and heavy rainfall.
Response agencies are prepared and Emergency Management procedures are in place.
As part of the Cyclone Condition Blue action plan, this is a reminder to prepare yourself and support your community by:
- Making sure your neighbours are aware of the cyclone advice issued by BoM
- Clean up around your home, tie down or remove loose material and rubbish
- Check that all windows are secured
- Have emergency supplies at hand
- Make sure you have some water stores.
Please listen to emergency broadcasts and on-ground responders during any extreme weather event. They are there to support us and keep us safe.
We also have our warning lights located at:
- West Island Public Shelter
- Home Island Public Shelter
- Airport runway adjacent to the Bureau of Meteorology Building.
Please note that the Cocos police continue to experience issues with phone lines, and advise that anyone requiring emergency assistance use VHF Channel 20 to contact police. When the lights are activated, please follow all related instructions, and listen and follow all advice from the Territory Controller, Sergeant David Williams.
The Cocos Emergency Management Executive Committee will meet again this afternoon and a new community update provided at 4:00pm.
Administrator of Christmas Island and the Cocos (Keeling) Islands