Date: 23 December 2020
The Australian Government is continuing its current relief measures to support electricity customers across Christmas Island and the Cocos (Keeling) Islands, as part of the ongoing response to COVID-19 (Coronavirus) and its economic impacts.
These measures, delivered by Indian Ocean Territories Power Service, through the Indian Ocean Territories Administration (IOTA) and the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications, ensure assistance is available for households, businesses and communities across the Indian Ocean Territories to maintain critical electricity connections.
The relief measures for customers experiencing financial hardship due to COVID-19 will be in place until at least 31 March 2021
- No increase to the cost of residential electricity use tariffs until at least July 2021
- Disconnection and reconnection fees will not be applied up until 31 March 2021 to small businesses that have ceased business operations
- No residential customers experiencing financial hardship and in contact with the IOTA office will have their electricity disconnected without their agreement up until 31 March 2021
- No small business customers experiencing financial hardship and adhering to a payment plan will have their electricity disconnected without their agreement up until 31 March 2021
- No residential customer experiencing financial hardship and who is in contact with the IOTA office regarding their debt will be referred to a debt collection agency up until 31 March 2021
- No small business customer that is adhering to a payment plan will be referred to a debt collection agency up until 31 March 2021
- All residential and small business customers in financial stress will be offered a payment plan or hardship arrangment
- Customers experiencing financial difficulties are encouraged to apply for a payment plan or hardship arrangement, by contacting the IOTA office on 08 9164 7901 or emailing email@example.com
Customers with existing payment plans can also apply to have their payment plans and hardship arrangements modified if their financial circumstances have further deteriorated.
Mrs Natasha Griggs
Administrator of Christmas Island and the Cocos (Keeling) Islands