Boat Registration and Recreational Skipper's Tickets

PDF version

English PDF: 105 KB

Number: D11/2018

Date: 07 March 2018

Relevant: Cocos (Keeling) Islands

Topic: Registration of Recreational Boats and Obtaining a Recreational Skipper's Ticket

I am pleased to advise that new arrangements for the registration of recreational vessels and recreational skipper's tickets (RSTs) will be introduced on Cocos (Keeling) Islands (CKI). The Department of Transport (DoT), on behalf of the Department of Infrastructure, Regional Development and Cities, will be administering registrations and RSTs as per the Navigable Water Regulations 1958 (WA) (CKI). This will result in a more streamlined process that reflects Western Australian practices.

Boat Registrations

As of today, the registration of recreational vessels owned by residents of CKI will be managed by DoT.
For further information about the changes, requirements for registration, fees and payments, please refer to the attached Factsheet PDF: 772 KB or contact DoT via email: or phone: 13 11 56.

Recreational Skipper's Tickets

As of today, the process of obtaining a RST will also be managed by DoT. A person must have a RST if they are in charge of an RST vessel and the vessel is being operated in the water. An RST vessel is any boat that is registered, or required to be registered; is used for recreational purposes; and is powered by an engine with more than 6hp (4.5Kw).

To obtain an RST you must pass an assessment by an authorised provider. Information on providers can be found at

There are no government fees or charges associated with the RST, however, the authorised RST training provider will charge fees for the assessment and any optional training. Any queries regarding the new process can be directed to DoT via email: or phone: 13 11 56.

Jadranka Matijas
Indian Ocean Territories Perth Office