Date: June 2022
Relevant: Indian Ocean Territories
Topic: Water and wastewater service charges
From 1 July, there will be changes to water, wastewater and building application services fees for the Indian Ocean Territories (IOT), consistent with pricing for remote communities in Western Australia.
The following increases have been applied to the new water and wastewater service charges:
- 2.5% increase for residential charges
- 2.5% increase for non-residential charges (commercial)
- 2% increase for miscellaneous fees and charges (except for builders and conveyancing fees)
- 12% increase in water flow reduction/restoration fees which reflects the cost of providing the service.
Full details about the 2022-23 charges can be found at:
• Christmas Island Utilities and Services (Water, Sewerage and Building Application Services Fees) Amendment (2022 Measures No. 1) Determination 2022 [https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2022L00816]
• Cocos (Keeling) Islands Utilities and Services (Water, Sewerage and Building Application Services Fees) Amendment (2022 Measures No. 1) Determination 2022 [https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2022L00817]
The Australian Government, through the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications, provides funding to the Water Corporation of Western Australia to deliver water and wastewater services to Christmas Island (CI) and the Cocos (Keeling) Islands (CKI).
The fees for water, sewerage and building application services for 2022-23 were determined in consultation with the Water Corporation. The fees charged on CI and CKI are currently less than the cost of providing water and wastewater services.
Mr Aaron O’Neill, Assistant Secretary, Indian Ocean Territories Branch