On 8 February 2021, the Department commissioned KPMG to undertake a Culture and Capability review to examine the systems, processes, culture and capabilities of the former Western Sydney Unit, following the performance audit ‘Purchase of the ‘Leppington Triangle’ Land for the Future Development of Western Sydney Airport, by the Australian National Audit Office (ANAO).
The review recognised the dedication of staff within the former Western Sydney Unit, and the significant achievements and deliverables over the time it operated. But it also noted areas of concern, similar to Sententia relating to leadership change, lack of focus on routine tasks and the effective management of operational risks.
The Review made a number considerations and observations under five themes:
- Fit for purpose leadership for complex settings
- Establishing ways of working to reflect complex environments
- Fostering high performing teams
- Actively managing transitions of projects
- Establishing the right project structures, operating practices, systems and assurance mechanisms
The department will embed and build on these observation as part of its overall response to the ANAO’s findings.