Relevant: Jervis Bay Territory residents
- Road Ready Course (for Learner Driver Licence) – 12 April 2022
- Provisional Licence Driving Tests
- Extended Opening Hours – Motor Vehicle Registry Counter
Road Ready Course – Learner’s Licence
We have scheduled a Road Ready Course for JBT residents who are interested in obtaining their Learner Driver Licence. Details are outlined below.
Applicants will need to provide 100 points of ID and proof of address before we can issue a Learner Driver Licence. Please see the attached guidelines to providing 100 points of ID and proof of address.
|Tuesday 12 April 2022
|9am – 4pm.
|Booderee National Park Training Room – Jervis Bay Territory
|Free of charge, if applicant is currently enrolled at school. Proof of school enrolment is required.
$180, if applicant is not attending school. Fee is payable at time of booking at the JBTA Office.
Practical Driving Test – Provisional Licence (P-Plates)
Practical Driving Tests will be conducted again in the near future. As minimum numbers are required for the testing to take place, it is essential that you express your interest with the JBT Administration Office as soon as possible, so we can secure an upcoming date with our driving instructor/s.
To express your interest or obtain further information, please contact the JBTA Office on telephone 4442 2200.
Extended Opening Hours – Motor Vehicle Registry Counter
The Motor Vehicle Registry office located at the JBT Administration office is now open on Fridays. The new operating hours for Motor Vehicle transactions are now Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, between 9am – 12noon and 1pm – 4pm.
Director of Operations
Guide to the Identification and Residency Requirements for ACT Photographic Driver Licence and ACT Vehicle Registration
As per Section 10(1)(a) & (b) of the Road Transport (Driver Licensing) Act 1999 the Road Transport Authority may only issue a driver licence to a person if the authority is satisfied the person is a resident of the ACT and the person is eligible under the Act to be issued with the Driver Licence.
For further information please visit act.gov.au/accessCBR or contact Access Canberra on 13 22 81.
Information on Proof of Identity
Applicants for the first issue of an ACT Driver Licence and/or an ACT Vehicle Registration, or an applicant who does not/cannot produce an ACT Driver Licence must provide full evidence of identity. Applicants must satisfy the Authority of their identity by providing a minimum of three original documents.
- At least one document must be from the primary proof of identity (POI) document list below.
- At least one of the POI documents must display the applicants name in full and not as an initial. Where an interstate photographic driver licence displays the applicant’s middle name as an initial the applicant must provide their full middle name to the Authority.
- At least one of the POI documents must display a signature.
- At least one of the POI documents must display a date of birth.
- Proof of Residency must be provided as a fourth document if not already satisfied by other POI documents; this excludes an ACT Proof of Identity card.
- POI documents must be current (not expired unless otherwise stated).
- Photocopies are not acceptable unless otherwise stated.
- Certified photocopies are not acceptable for the first issue of an ACT Driver Licence or Vehicle Registration.
Applicants who already hold a Driver Licence issued by the ACT Road Transport Authority are only required to provide their licence as full evidence of their identity.
Primary Proof of Identity (documents which will be accepted).
- A photographic Driver Licence issued in Australia and current or expired up to two years.
- Australian Birth Certificate (not a Commemorative Certificate or extract). If the certificate is not in the name currently used appropriate linking documentation will be required (e.g. Marriage Certificate).
- Australian Passport current or expired up to two years.
- Overseas Passport current or expired up to two years.
- Australian Citizenship Certificate or Naturalisation Certificate.
- Department of Home Affairs Travel document valid up to five years after date of issue.
- Department of Home Affairs Evidence of Immigration Status (EIS) ImmiCard valid to date of expiry.
- Department of Home Affairs Permanent Resident Evidence (PRE) ImmiCard valid to date of expiry.
- Department of Home Affairs Australian Migration Status (AMS) ImmiCard valid to date of expiry.
- Current Police Officer Photo Identity Card issued in ACT only.
- Australian Proof of Age Card / Proof of Identity Card / NSW Photo Card with appropriate security features that displays the date of issue by Authority and current or expired up to two years.
Secondary Proof of Identity (documents which will be accepted)
- Current Medicare Card.
- Current Credit Card or Account Card with signature and embossed name from a Bank, Building Society or Credit Union.
- Current Student Identity Document with photograph and signature issued by an Educational Institution.
- Current Centrelink or Department of Veterans Affairs Concession Card.
- KeyPass Identity Card issued by Australia Post current or expired up to two years.
- Security Guard / Crowd Controller Identity Card with photograph issued by an Australian State or Territory current or expired up to two years.
- Firearm Licence with photograph issued by an Australian State or Territory current or expired up to two years.
- Current Consular Identity Card with photograph issued by Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
- Current State, Territory or Federal Government Employee Identity Card with photograph.
- Current Australian Defence Force Identity Card with photograph.
- Current ACT Government Services Access Card.
- Working with Vulnerable People Registration Card current or expired up to two years.
- ACT High Risk Work Licence current or expired up to two years.
Proof of Residency(excluding Proof of Identity Cards issued after 19 September 2018)
- Contract of Purchase, Current Lease or Rental Agreement for relevant premises prepared by a real estate agency or the ACT Government. Private rental agreements or receipts will not be accepted.
- Rates Assessment Notice which is current and issued by ACT Revenue Office.
- Land Tax Valuation Assessment Notice which is current and issued by ACT Revenue Office.
- Current Centrelink or Department of Veterans Affairs Concession Card.
- Utility account relating to the nominated physical address for electricity, gas, water or land line telephone paid within six months from date of application.
- Utility provider welcome letter or bundle advice related to the nominated physical address received within three months from date of application.
- Home Internet account relating to the nominated residential address paid within six months from date of application.
- Pay Television account relating to the nominated residential address paid within six months from date of application.
- Confirmation of Address Minute accompanied by an identity card both issued by Department of Defence.
- Letter from University residence deemed suitable by Authority accompanied by Student Identity Card.
- Bank Statement with evidence of regular purchases in the ACT within three months from date of application.
- Current interstate registration renewal notice related to the nominated physical address.
- Documents from an Australian Government Department or ACT Government Directorate relating to the nominated physical address received within six months from date of application (excluding documents from the Australian Electoral Commission AEC).
- MyGov electronic correspondence displaying the nominated physical address received within six months from date of application.
- Australian Tax Office Assessment issued within the last or current financial year. To ensure protection of privacy references to Tax File Numbers should be omitted from the document prior to submission.