Journalist Fund cadets starting out in regional newsrooms across Australia

Up to 61 new cadet journalists will be hitting the beat in 38 regional newsrooms across the nation, after being awarded grants through the first round of the Australian Government’s Journalist Fund.

The funding is being provided in partnership with selected regional news organisations to employ new journalists under a co-contribution arrangement, with a 2-year package of up to $150,000 per cadet.

The Australian Government will contribute 70 per cent of each cadetship package, up to $105,000, and successful grant recipients will be required to contribute the remaining 30 per cent.

The second round of the Journalist Fund, supporting First Nations regional media organisations to employ First Nations cadets is also underway. For more information visit the Journalist Fund page.