Funding for cadet journalists now available

Regional media organisations eligible for grants through the cadetship stream of the Journalist Fund are now welcome to apply.

A total of $8 million is available for hiring cadets, with applications closing on 20 April 2022. There is a total of $10 million available under the Journalist Fund, with $2 million soon to be available for upskilling journalists.

Cadetship grant funding is designed to support eligible regional media organisations to hire new cadet journalists.

Each cadet will be supported by a $150,000 funding package which includes the cadet’s salary, superannuation, hiring costs, travel costs, and training over 2 years. The Government will contribute 70% of each cadetship package, up to $105,000. Grant recipients will contribute the remaining 30%. Cadets are to be employed for at least 24 months.

More information about eligibility for the Cadetship funding and how to apply is available in the Grant Guidelines.

Details on the Training stream for upskilling journalists will be announced shortly.

The package forms part of the Australian Government’s Media Policy Statement, which is delivering a range of measures to modernise Australia’s media industry.

To find out more about the Media Policy Statement visit 2022 Media Policy Statement.