In a landmark week for local government (13-16 June 2023), 1,100 local and federal government leaders came together for a series of conversations and events in Canberra.
Passion, partnership, and policy – 1,100 local government leaders from across Australia used their opportunity in Canberra last week to promote the successes and share the needs of their communities with each other and federal ministers.
Across the week, delegates attended presentations, panel sessions, and held conversations at the Regional Cooperation and Development Forum (Regional Forum, 13 June), the Australian Local Government Association’s National General Assembly (ALGA NGA, 14-15 June), and the newly re-instated Australian Council of Local Government (ACLG, 16 June).
In her address to the ALGA NGA, the Minister for Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government, the Hon Catherine King MP, encapsulated the spirit of the Local Government Week:
“There are many good things about ALGA’s NGA, but what I always consider the most important is how it brings together hundreds of representatives from every corner of our nation to share ideas and to work together for the benefit of their local communities […] When we work together – with local government – this future will be stronger, more sustainable and prosperous”.
These sentiments were shared by keynote speakers and panellists at each of the events, including the Prime Minister of Australia, The Hon Anthony Albanese MP; our portfolio’s ministers, especially the Minister for Regional Development, Local Government and Territories, the Hon Kristy McBain MP; and multiple Cabinet Ministers across portfolios including Housing, Climate Change and Energy, Education, Government Services, and Disability Services.
The Department played a key role in planning and delivering core elements of the week including:
- The successful organisation and delivery of the first ACLG in over a decade, where federal and local government leaders came together to discuss the major policy challenges of our nation.
- An ACLG Gala Dinner at Parliament House in which 600 local government delegates dined with 20 federal ministers and Commonwealth officials.
- A departmental panel with senior executives from each group discussing the development and delivery of policy with local government;
- A celebratory breakfast event hosted by Minister McBain for the winners of the 2023 National Awards for Local Government;
- An inter-departmental booth with representatives from across the Commonwealth, including the Departments of Health, Climate Change, Agriculture, Foreign Affairs, and the National Indigenous Australians Agency
Reflecting on the activities of the week, the Prime Minister said “I’m a big believer in working closely with local councils to build a better future […] We need to make the most of this opportunity to work together and build a better future for all Australians. You've brought constructive ideas, you've come together in a remarkable spirit of goodwill. All of which gives us in the Federal Government great optimism for the journey ahead. And I look forward to working with you to build a better future for Australia”.
Find out more
Australian Council for Local Government (ACLG) annual forum:
Read the Minister’s media release.
2023 National Awards for Local Government:
Read the Minister's media release.