Successful projects will strengthen the resilience of mobile network telecommunications infrastructure across regional, rural and remote Australia.
Up to $15 million will be available for Round 2 to help mitigate the impact of natural disasters on telecommunications services in our regions, including in remote, very remote and First Nations communities.
The program reduces the risk of service outages and improves restoration times during natural disasters by funding projects like portable generators, power back-up upgrades and physical tower hardening.
Resilience upgrades that may be funded by Round 2 include:
- upgrading power capacity to a minimum of 12 hours at a telecommunications site
- elevating infrastructure to protect it from floods
- delivering emergency power solutions to rapidly restore services during or after a natural disaster
- providing redundant backhaul
- expanding a protection zone around a site to increase protection from bushfires.
Funding for further rounds of the MHNP was confirmed in the October 2022-23 Federal Budget as part of the Australian Government’s $1.1 billion Better Connectivity Plan for Regional and Rural Australia.
In total, the Australian Government is investing $2.2 billion to increase online connectivity, bridge the digital divide, improve mobile network coverage and support communities with resilient telecommunications services during natural disasters. This is the most significant investment in regional communications since the inception of the National Broadband Network.
Applications for Round 2 of the Mobile Network Hardening Program close on 5pm AEDT Friday, 17 November 2023
A project noticeboard, available via the department’s website, will also allow communities to engage with telecommunication companies on potential projects, allowing communities to identify potential areas of risk or potential projects for the industry applicants to consider.
Find out more:
- Read the Minister’s media release - $15 million available to boost mobile resilience during disasters
- For more information on the Australian Government’s Better Connectivity Plan, visit https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/bcp
- For more information on the Mobile Network Hardening Program, visit Mobile Network Hardening Program