The policy objectives will help guide decision making for the proposed allocation of the bands, which are pivotal to the delivery of mobile services across Australia.
There are five policy objectives:
- supporting the deployment of 4G and 5G technologies
- promoting competitive market outcomes for the long-term benefit of consumers
- encouraging investment in telecommunications infrastructure, including in regional Australia
- supporting continuity of services, and
- supporting a national Public Safety Mobile Broadband (PSMB) capability.
In December 2019, the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) announced a proposal to make more spectrum available in the 850 MHz expansion band and improve the use of spectrum in the 900 MHz band.
ACMA will soon begin consultation with industry, including incumbents, on the re-allocation of the band.
The policy objectives will help guide ACMA and industry on re-allocating the use of these bands.
The auction for the bands is expected to begin in late 2021.
Find out more:
- Read the Government's policy objectives Communications policy objectives for the allocation of the 850 and 900 MHz bands
- Visit ACMA's website