New insights from the Bureau of Communications, Arts and Regional Research show how streaming services are affecting Australia's video content landscape.
Australia's video content landscape has dramatically shifted in the last decade with the increasing popularity of subscription video on demand (SVOD) services. Netflix remains the most popular service, followed by Stan, Disney + and Amazon Prime Video.
The recently released update to the SVOD dashboard provides an overview of the market, including how much content is available on individual services and what that content is.
Key insights include:
- The amount of Australian content available has been increasing, with local SVOD services Foxtel Now and Stan having a higher proportion of Australian content
- Amazon Prime Video has consolidated its content offerings, with 41 per cent fewer titles available in June 2021 compared to June 2020
- The number of Australian shows on foreign SVOD services continues to grow, with over 1,600 unique Australian titles shown overseas in June 2021
- Commissioning of Australian TV shows continues to be led by the free-to-air broadcasters.
Find out more
- Learn more about SVOD services
- View the SVOD statistical snapshot
- Explore the interactive dashboard—Subscription Video on Demand in Australia