English PDF: 498 KB
Relevant: Cocos (Keeling) Islands
Date: 13 March 2019
The Cocos Emergency Management Committee has met today and agreed to raise the cyclone warning level to Condition Yellow. This means that a cyclone is moving closer to the islands and may impact within 12 hours and that the West and Home Island Cyclone Shelters will be opened overnight.
The Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) has issued a Tropical Cyclone Warning for Cocos (Keeling) Islands with gale force wind (gusts up to 100 kilometres per hour) and heavy rain (50 - 150 millimetres) possible during Thursday morning. A tropical low is now located north northeast of Cocos (Keeling) Islands and is forecast to track south-west tomorrow. Please refer to http://www.bom.gov.au/cyclone/ for more details.
As part of the Cyclone Condition Yellow action plan, it is now time to prepare yourself and support your neighbours by:
- Making sure your neighbours are aware of the cyclone warning issued by BoM
- Ensuring that all loose materials and objects around homes and workplaces are safely secured
- Checking that all windows and screens are secure and closed
- Ensuring you fill extra containers with water and making sure you have emergency supplies at hand
- Consider activating your personal cyclone emergency plans
- Listening to 6CKI for updates
Heavy rains and high winds are expected with an increased risk of localised flash flooding and slippery roads.
Response agencies are prepared and Emergency Management procedures are in place. Please listen to emergency broadcasts and to the on-ground responders during any extreme weather event. They are there to support us and keep us safe. We also have our warning lights located at:
- West Island Public Shelter
- Home Island Public Shelter
- Airport runway adjacent to the Bureau of Meteorology Building
When the lights are activated, please follow all related instructions. If you require emergency assistance, please contact police on 000 or 9162 6600, or on VHF Channel 20. Please listen and follow all advice from the Territory Controller, Sergeant Anna Swain.
Administrator Christmas Island and the Cocos (Keeling) Islands