International and domestic aviation connects Australians with each other and with the rest of the world. Aviation is central to our economy and the work you undertake will help to foster a viable, competitive and safe aviation industry.
- Delivering programs which support connectivity to regional and remote Australian communities, and enhance the safety and accessibility of airports and aerodromes in those regions.
- Providing policy and regulatory advice on the 21 operational federally leased airports across Australia.
- Coordinating the Commonwealth/State Government advisory group that administers the National Airports Safeguarding Framework, a land use planning framework that protects airports from incompatible developments.
- Delivering the Aviation White Paper which will set the long-term policies to guide the next generation of growth and innovation in the aviation sector.
- Providing advice on, and regulatory oversight of, matters relating to environmental management at leased federal airports and responsibility for delivering the Government’s Per-and Poly-Fluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS) Airport Investigation Program.
- Administering legislation and regulations for the management of on-airport activities, building controls, environmental management, airport curfews and airspace protection.
- Providing policy advice on aviation safety, air traffic management, aircraft noise and airspace issues, and measures to minimise the aviation industry's impact on the community and the environment.
- Developing and implementing policy and programs for emerging aviation technologies, including drones and advanced air mobility.
- Providing international aviation policy advice, the economic regulation of international aviation, the negotiation and administration of international air service agreements, Australia’s International Civil Aviation Organization Mission, and the oversight and coordination of international aviation programs.
- Delivery of the airspace design for the new Western Sydney International (Nancy-Bird Walton) airport.
If you'd like to find out more about this portfolio area, visit our Aviation section.
Explore career opportunities
Find out more about the work we do and what might interest you by clicking on the below links.