Date: 21 January 2021
The Cocos (Keeling) Islands Emergency Management Committee Executive met this afternoon and agreed to raise the cyclone warning level to Condition Yellow.
This means that a cyclone is moving closer to the islands and may impact within 12 hours. The West and Home Island Cyclone Shelters will be opened from 6:00pm today for anyone that doesn"t feel safe in their own home.
If you have any concerns regarding structural damage or electrical services to your home please advise Police immediately.
The Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) has issued a Tropical Cyclone Warning for Cocos (Keeling) Islands with gale force wind gusts up to 120 kilometres per hour and heavy rain possible over the next twelve hours. A tropical low is now located 55 kms east of Cocos (Keeling) Islands and is forecast to track west-south-west direction overnight. Please refer to http://www.bom.gov.au/cyclone/ for more details.
As part of the Cyclone Condition Yellow action plan, it is now time to prepare yourself and support your neighbours by:
- Making sure your neighbours are aware of the cyclone warning issued by BoM
- Ensuring that all loose materials and objects around homes and workplaces are safely secured
- Checking that all windows and screens are secure and closed
- Ensuring you fill extra containers with water and making sure you have emergency supplies at hand
- Consider activating your personal cyclone emergency plans
- Heavy rains and high winds are expected with an increased risk of localised flash flooding and slippery roads.
Response agencies are prepared and Emergency Management procedures are in place. Please listen to emergency broadcasts and to the on-ground responders during any extreme weather event. They are there to support us and keep us safe.
We also have our warning lights located at the West Island Public Shelter, Home Island Public Shelter and the Airport runway adjacent to the Bureau of Meteorology Building.
Please note that the Cocos police continue to experience issues with phone lines, and advise that anyone requiring emergency assistance use VHF Channel 20 to contact police. When the lights are activated, please follow all related instructions, and listen and follow all advice from the Territory Controller, Sergeant David Williams.
Administrator of Christmas Island and the Cocos (Keeling) Islands