Applications for the 2021-22 University Vacation Employment Program are now open! Visit the Career Opportunities website to apply. Applications close at 11:59pm (AEST) on Friday 13 August 2021.
The University Vacation Employment Program or UVEP is an internship run over the summer university break for university students to experience working in Government.
Placement opportunities are determined through an Expression of Interest and preference process therefore are based on your individual interests coupled with current organisational requirements. This strategic approach has proved to offer graduates a challenging experience and meaningful work opportunities.
Placements vary significantly and could see you:
- Helping to set the course for Australia’s digital future.
- Developing policy that supports and protects our cultural heritage.
- Regulating airports.
- Implementing the Smart Cities Plan.
- Developing policy for broadband, open data and media.
- Working on the development of the Inland Rail or Western Sydney International (Nancy-bird) Airport.
- Supporting regional development and local communities around Australia.
No matter the placement you are sure to take part in an exciting, rewarding and challenging experience that will support your future career.
You will gain valuable, on the job experience, the opportunity to develop networking skills, contacts and social skills required in a professional environment, and the chance to showcase your skills and knowledge in the workplace.
Key elements of the UVEP are:
- Applications are accepted from all disciplines and at any point in your university study.
- Undertake an 8-12-week placement over the summer university break between November 2021 and February 2022.
- Paid APS Level 2 internship - $53,967 per annum (pro rata).
To be eligible for the UVEP, you must:
- Be an Australian Citizen.
- Be completing an undergraduate degree as a minimum.
- Be available for your placement between November 2021 and February 2022.
- Be available for a minimum of 8 and up to 12 weeks.
- Be able to meet the department's security requirements.
Our positions are located in Canberra. Any successful interstate candidates will be responsible for their own travel, accommodation and associated costs.
You will need to submit:
- A CV (of no more than two pages in length);
- The details of two referees (professional referees are preferred but not mandatory); and
- A response (of no longer than 500 words each) to a few questions asking you to demonstrate your interest in the department and what skills you have that could contribute to the Program.
|Applications open||12 July 2021|
|Applications close||13 August 2021|
|Process finalised - offers made||17 September 2021|
|Program commencement||Various Dates November-December 2021|
If you have any queries, please email our Entry Level Programs Team.
What do our interns have to say?
Hear from some of our past Interns below about their time on the University Vacation Employment Program and why Infrastructure is the place for you.
“The last 3 months that I have spent at the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communication has given me opportunities I never dreamed of. It gave me the opportunity to develop skills relevant to any public service job and it did all that while being accommodating. If you do anything this Summer make sure it is the University Vacation Employment Program at the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications.”
- Ari Glass
“The Department was so welcoming and friendly, we were offered amazing support networks, tailored training programs to help us advance our career development and connections with great colleagues and other interns. Through my UVEP experience I was able to discover more about my individual strengths in a professional working environment, I would recommend this program to everyone.”
- Lizzie Silvester
“The UVEP was a unique way to gain practical insights on possible career pathways in the APS. The cohort was provided with valuable professional development training and had the chance to build a network of diverse colleagues within the Department. I particularly enjoyed the breadth of policy and program areas I was able to explore throughout the experience. Overall, it has prepared me well for future opportunities within the public service and beyond.”
- Mary Grimwade
“My experience with the University Vacation Employment Program as a Supervisor of an intern was fantastic. We were placed with an enthusiastic student who was willing to jump in and give anything a go. While our branch was not an area of preference initially, our intern gave the placement everything she had and made herself an invaluable member of our team. We were able to task our intern with substantial work, as the skills she has gained from her time at university proved useful in project management and communications. We have been able to extend our interns contract until the end of the financial year in a part time capacity while she returns to university, which we are thrilled to be able to do. I could not recommend taking part in the program more – what a fantastic way to bring talent through!”
- 2021 Supervisor