Vehicle Standards Bulletin 14 (VSB 14)
National Code of Practice for Light Vehicle Construction and Modification (NCOP)
The National Code of Practice for Light Vehicle Construction and Modification (VSB 14) has been prepared by members of the Australian Motor Vehicle Certification Board Working Party in consultation with industry, user groups, government agencies and individuals with an interest in modifying light vehicles and/or building individually constructed light vehicles (ICVs).
VSB 14 is a ‘live’ document and will continue to be revised and updated as required.
The documents listed below form Version 2 of VSB 14 and are now available for free download in PDF format.
VSB 14 essentially provides the technical requirements that need to be met when modifying or constructing a vehicle. It does not cover the administrative requirements of each State and Territory.
Administrative requirements include, but are not limited to:
- Registration processes;
- Fees for processes such as registration, issue of temporary permits, vehicle inspections; applications for approval to modify, applications for exemptions etc.;
- Determination of the date of manufacture for Individually Constructed Vehicles;
- Processes for submitting applications; and
- Administration and management of modification schemes including the administration of signatories.
The Preface and Introduction to VSB 14 provide the necessary background information to assist users in understanding how VSB 14 is administered by the Registration Authorities across Australia. Understanding and following these requirements reduces the likelihood of having a vehicle rejected by a Registration Authority.
Prospective constructors or modifiers should contact the Registration Authority in the jurisdiction in which a vehicle is to be registered or modified, to determine the most up to date information about the administrative arrangements that may be in force.
Where a jurisdiction is unable to nationally recognise an element of VSB 14, the individual difference/s are highlighted within VSB 14. In these instances, users should contact the responsible Registration Authority for further advice.
VSB 14 Documents
- NCOP1 Preface V2 01Jan2011 PDF: 83 KB
- NCOP2 Introduction V2 01Jan2011 PDF: 142 KB
- NCOP3 Section LA Engine V2 01Jan2011 PDF: 218 KB
- NCOP4 Section LB Transmission V2 01Jan2011 PDF: 131 KB
- NCOP5 Section LG Brakes V2 01Jan2011 PDF: 180 KB
- NCOP6 Section LH Body Modifications V2 01Jan2011 PDF: 993 KB
- NCOP7 Section LK Seating and Occupant Protection V2 01Jan2011 PDF: 1729 KB
- NCOP8 Section LL Motorcycles V2 01Jan2011 PDF: 281 KB
- NCOP9 Section LM Fuel Systems V2 01Jan2011 PDF: 243 KB
- NCOP10 Section LO ADRS ICVs V2 01Jan2011 PDF: 814 KB
- NCOP10A LO1–3 ICV Checklist V2 01Jan2011 PDF: 144 KB
- NCOP10B LO1–4 ICV Checklist V2 01Jan2011 PDF: 122 KB
- NCOP10C LO7 ICV Motorcycle Checklist V2 01Jan2011 PDF: 193 KB
- NCOP10D LO1–2 Second Edition ADRs Checklist V2 01Jan2011 PDF: 127 KB
- NCOP11 Section LS Suspension and Steering V2.1 15Nov2015 PDF: 2120 KB
- NCOP12 Section LT Test Procedures V2 01Jan2011 PDF: 991 KB
- NCOP13 Section LV Alternative Power Units V2 01Jan2011 PDF: 90 KB
- NCOP14 Guidelines Electric Drive V2 01Jan2011 PDF: 307 KB
- NCOP15 Trike Guidelines V2 01Jan2011 PDF: 781 KB
- NCOP15A LEM Trike Checklist V2 01Jan2011 PDF: 139 KB
- NCOP15B LEP Trike Checklist V2 01Jan2011 PDF: 146 KB
- NCOP16 Section LZ Appendices V2 01Jan2011 PDF: 437 KB
- NCOPC1 Cover Page VSB14 V2 01Jan2011 PDF: 357 KB
- NCOPC2 Cover Page Guidelines Electric Drive V2 01Jan2011 PDF: 972 KB
- NCOPC3 Cover Page Trike Guidelines V2 01Jan2011 PDF: 386 KB
Queries regarding VSB 14 should be directed to your local Registration Authority.