If you are seeking to permanently import a vehicle into Australia, you can apply for a Vehicle Import Approval under one of several options. This quick quiz assists you in assessing which option may be the most appropriate for your circumstances. Please note that it is intended as a guide only. The Department recommends that you carefully read the requirements of individual import options before choosing which is most suitable.
Please note that there are options available for the temporary importation of vehicles. See Import Options for more information.
What sort of vehicle do you want to import into Australia?
- Car (used)
- Car (new)
- Race/rally car or motorbike
- Truck (used)
- Truck (new)
- Motorbike/Moped for use on roads (used)
- Motorbike/Moped for use on roads (new)
- Motorbike-off-road use only (new or used)
- Bus (used)
- Bus (new)
- Motorhome (used)
- Motorhome (new)
- Motorised wheelchair
- Power assisted pedal cycle or motorised scooter
- ATV/ Quadbike/Go-cart/Small or mini motorbike/Scooter
- Non-standard vehicle/special purpose (eg city utility vehicles—fire tenders, garbage trucks, street sweepers, mobile cranes, mobile drilling rigs and mobile plant)
Some vehicles do not require a Vehicle Import Approval. For more information, see Vehicles that do not require an approval.
The information provided on this page should be used as guidance material only for importing a vehicle into Australia. Please familiarise yourself with the relevant legislation prior to lodging an application.
The Road Vehicle Standards legislation will commence on 10 December 2019.