Race and Rally and Support Vehicles Option
This option is covered by Regulation 18 of the Motor Vehicle Standards Regulations 1989.
The purpose of the option
This option allows vehicles for race or rally use to be imported into Australia.
Where a particular vehicle model is readily available in the Australian market, a Vehicle Import Approval will not be granted unless there are compelling reasons to justify why it is necessary.
What criteria are required for race and rally vehicles?
Any vehicle may be eligible for a race or rally import approval. Applicants must provide evidence demonstrating that the vehicle will be used for racing or rallying. This may include the entry of the vehicle into a particular event or sponsorship for a race series or evidence that the vehicle has been modified to be suitable only for racing.
How to apply
To apply for a Vehicle Import Approval for a race or rally or support vehicle, you should provide to the Department:
- A purchase document for the vehicle in your name (a purchase document can be a pro-forma invoice/receipt for deposit or full payment).
- Copy of appropriate race rally licence or equivalent documentation.
- A statement that the vehicle will only be used in rallying or closed circuit racing.
- Evidence of participation in rally or closed circuit racing, including:
- Details of events in which the applicant has driven a race or rally car;
- Details of specific events in which the applicant proposes to compete in the car for which the import application is submitted; and
- Details of the race/rally club or organisation of which the applicant is a member and the length of membership.
These documents are in addition to the documents required when you register on the portal. Refer to the How to apply page for further information.
The information provided on this page should be used as guidance material only for importing a vehicle into Australia. Please familiarise yourself with the relevant legislation prior to lodging an application.
The Road Vehicle Standards legislation will commence on 10 December 2019.