Interim measure: vehicles older than 25 years
As per the Department's recent announcement, a range of measures are being implemented to assist with the adverse consequences of postponing the commencement of the Road Vehicle Standards (RVS) legislation.
One of these measures is to allow early import of older vehicles (vehicles at least 25 years old), which would have been available under the RVS legislation had it commenced.
Please note: applications for vehicles manufactured before 1989 must use Vehicles Manufactured Before 1989 Option. Detailed guidance PDF: 887 KB DOCX: 3143 KB is available on the interim arrangement for access to older vehicles that meet the eligibility criteria under the RVS legislation.
To be eligible under this option, the vehicle must meet the eligibility criteria under section 36 of the Road Vehicle Standards Rules 2019.
The vehicle must meet one of the following categories:
- Passenger Car (MA)
- Forward-control Passenger Vehicle (MB)
- Off-road Passenger Vehicle (MC)
- Moped – 2 wheels (LA)
- Moped – 3 wheels (LB)
- Motor cycle (LC)
- Motor cycle and side-car (LD)
- Motor tricycle (LE), or
- Light Goods Vehicle (NA)
The vehicle must have a relevant build date that is at least 25 years before the date of the application. The relevant build date is the later of:
- the date that assembly of the vehicle was first completed, or
- if there are significant modifications, the date that the last of any significant modifications were completed
What is the date of manufacture?
The vehicle must have a build date that is at least 25 years old. The relevant build date is the later date of either:
- The month and year that assembly of the vehicle was first completed/manufactured; or
- If significant modifications have been made to the vehicle, the date the last significant modification was completed.
NOTE: where only the year of manufacture can be identified, the month will be taken to be December of that year.
The following table illustrates how the year of manufacture or build date affects whether the interim arrangement or the ‘Vehicles Manufactured Before 1989 Option’ will apply.
The following table is for 2020:
|Year of manufacture or build date||Age of vehicle||Option to apply under||Relevant vehicle categories|
|1996||24||Neither option applies - consider other importation options|
|1995||25||Interim option||MA, MB, MC, LA, LB, LC, LD, LE AND NA|
|1994||26||Interim option||MA, MB, MC, LA, LB, LC, LD, LE AND NA|
|1993||27||Interim option||MA, MB, MC, LA, LB, LC, LD, LE AND NA|
|1992||28||Interim option||MA, MB, MC, LA, LB, LC, LD, LE AND NA|
|1991||29||Interim option||MA, MB, MC, LA, LB, LC, LD, LE AND NA|
|1990||30||Interim option||MA, MB, MC, LA, LB, LC, LD, LE AND NA|
|1989||31||Interim option||MA, MB, MC, LA, LB, LC, LD, LE AND NA|
|1988||32||Vehicles Manufactured Before 1989 Option||No restriction|
|1987||33||Vehicles Manufactured Before 1989 Option||No restiction|
How do I apply?
Until full commencement of the RVS legislation, you should follow the application process under the Motor Vehicle Standards (MVS) legislation for Vehicles Manufactured before 1989.
You will need to provide the following documents to support your application.
- A purchase document for the vehicle in your name (a purchase document can be a pro-forma invoice, receipt for a deposit or full payment.)
- A recent photo of the vehicle (in its current condition) including:
- Clear color picture of Front, Rear, Side, Engine Bay and full Interior
- Picture of the VIN or Chassis number on the vehicle
- If the vehicle is a light goods vehicle evidence of the GVM
- Details which help us to assess the vehicle, including:
- Evidence of the year of manufacture, VIN Plate, Japan De-rego certificate, manufactures confirmation,
Where modifications have been made to a vehicle you will also need to provide:
- details of the modification(s) including supporting evidence that documents the date(s) the work was undertaken, component(s) installed and the person(s) or businesses that completed the work.
- clear high definition, colour photos of the vehicle, in a well-lit area, displaying the:
- entire underside of the vehicle on a hoist including front and rear bumper, engine, exhaust, transmission, tail shaft, differential, front and rear suspension components, and front and rear brakes with the wheels off
- engine, engine bay and engine number
- chassis number and chassis modification(s)
**If you are unable to attach all of the required documents in the application process you will during the assessment stage be sent an email requesting the documents that are missing.**
These documents are in addition to the documents required when you register on the portal.
If you have any questions or concerns please contact us on 1800 815 727 (within Australia) or +61 2 6274 7444 (outside Australia), or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.