Have your say
On February 12 2021, the Department published the Reform of the Disability Standards for Accessible Public Transport: Consultation Regulation Impact Statement (Consultation RIS.) The Consultation RIS includes regulatory and non-regulatory reform options for 16 areas of the Disability Standards for Accessible Public Transport 2002 (Transport Standards). The Consultation RIS will be open for public feedback until April 23 2021. The full Consultation RIS and a summary are available here:
- Reform of the Disability Standards for Accessible Public Transport: Consultation Regulation Impact Statement DOCX: 1512 KB PDF: 1848 KB
- Consultation Regulation Impact Statement Summary DOCX: 112 KB PDF: 198 KB Click here to view translations and other formats
We are seeking public feedback on whether the proposed reform options will improve public transport accessibility for people with disability and whether they will enhance the public transport experience for all Australians. We want to hear from you on the proposed reforms to the Transport Standards and your public transport experiences more generally—whether you have a disability, work in the disability or transport sector, work with or know people who have a disability or are just an interested public transport user.
Online Consultation Forums
We are hosting 6 online consultation forums to support public participation. The forums will be held over two weeks commencing 12 April 2021 and will be professionally facilitated to ensure all participants have an opportunity to contribute their views. Live captioning will be provided for all sessions and an Auslan interpreter will be provided on request.
If you are interested, we require you to complete an online registration in advance. We want to make sure the session you attend covers the topics you are most interested in discussing.
There will be separate forums for the disability community, the transport industry and general sessions for all participants. Registrations for sessions close 3 business days prior to the session. The session times are listed below for your information. To register for one of the sessions and for more information, visit our online registration form. If you have any issues or are unable to use our form please email us at: DisabilityTransport@infrastructure.gov.au to be registered.
- Monday 12 April 2021, 2:00pm - 3:30pm AEST — Disability Community
- Wednesday 14 April 2021, 11:00am - 12:30pm AEST — All Participants
- Friday 16 April 2021, 1:00pm - 2:30pm AEST — Transport Industry
- Tuesday 20 April 2021, 10:00am - 11:30am AEST — Disability Community
- Tuesday 20 April 2021, 2:00pm - 3:30pm AEST — All Participants
- Thursday 22 April 2021, 1:00pm - 2:30pm AEST — Disability Community
Ways to contribute
There are a number of ways for you to have your say and provide input, including:
- Providing a formal response in writing to the Consultation RIS.
- Send us your thoughts via email to DisabilityTransport@infrastructure.gov.au
- Call the Disability Standards feedback line on 02 6274 6188 between 9am and 4pm AEDT
- Complete any of our three surveys:
- In writing addressed to the below:
Disability and Transport Standards Section
Land Transport Policy Branch
Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications
GPO Box 594
CANBERRA ACT 2601
The public consultation period will close on April 23 2021.
All submissions will be treated as public documents and made available on the reforms website unless:
- the documents are clearly marked as being provided ‘IN CONFIDENCE’; or
- the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications determines that the documents contain private or confidential information.
Please note: Copies of all submissions will be provided to the Attorney-General's Department.
16 Areas of Reform
The initial stage of the reform process has identified 16 areas of reform, based on consultation with the disability community, governments and the public transport industry.
To find out more about any of our reform areas, download one of our fact sheets below:
- Staff training and communication DOCX: 379 KB PDF: 166 KB
- Mobility aid safety DOCX: 379 KB PDF: 186 KB
- Priority seating DOCX: 379 KB PDF: 165 KB
- Allocated spaces in transit DOCX: 379 KB PDF: 165 KB
- Digital information screens DOCX: 379 KB PDF: 165 KB
- Lifts DOCX: 379 KB PDF: 170 KB
- Website accessibility DOCX: 379 KB PDF: 164 KB
- Communication during service disruption DOCX: 379 KB PDF: 166 KB
- Gangways DOCX: 380 KB PDF: 165 KB
- Assistance animal toileting facilities DOCX: 381 KB PDF: 166 KB
- Emergency egress DOCX: 380 KB PDF: 165 KB
- Fit for purpose accessway DOCX: 380 KB PDF: 166 KB
- Wayfinding DOCX: 379 KB PDF: 164 KB
- Tactile ground surface indicators DOCX: 379 KB PDF: 165 KB
- Passenger loading areas DOCX: 379 KB PDF: 186 KB
- Multiple formats of information DOCX: 381 KB PDF: 165 KB
Consultation RIS Summary Translations and other formats
A summary of the Consultation RIS is available in easy English here:
- Easy English - Tell us what you think DOCX: 2123 KB PDF: 685 KB
- Easy English - Public Transport for people with disability DOCX: 6445 KB PDF: 1735 KB
A summary of the Consultation RIS is available in the following languages:
- Arabic DOCX: 24 KB PDF: 155 KB
- Simplified Chinese DOCX: 24 KB PDF: 191 KB
- Traditional Chinese DOCX: 24 KB PDF: 204 KB
- Farsi DOCX: 25 KB PDF: 165 KB
- Greek DOCX: 30 KB PDF: 168 KB
- Italian DOCX: 29 KB PDF: 138 KB
- Khmer DOCX: 32 KB PDF: 181 KB
- Korean DOCX: 54 KB PDF: 260 KB
- Spanish DOCX: 27 KB PDF: 113 KB
- Vietnamese DOCX: 33 KB PDF: 242 KB
The Department has sought to ensure all documents provided are accessible in pdf format. Should a document not meet a reader's accessibly needs please contact us at DisabilityTransport@infrastructure.gov.au.