The Proposal for Improving Livestock Performance on Norfolk Island PDF: 4166 KB represents outcomes from a study of ways to improve artificial insemination and embryo transfer for ruminant livestock. Cattle, goats and sheep are the focus of this study.
This proposal considers, but is not limited to:
- biosecurity related requirements
- selection of suitable ruminant livestock
- availability and adequacy of handling facilities and equipment
- cost and storage of semen and drugs
- personnel qualification requirements
- cost of an AI technician; barriers to AI delivery
- identification of program participants
- possible training opportunities for participants
- work health and safety
- animal welfare
- options for program assistance.
A working group consisting of industry and community representatives and the department will come together to progress the proposal’s recommendations.