The ACMA Review has drawn upon a range of resources to inform its analysis. These resources include a suite of essays by industry and regulatory thought leaders, international papers on best practice regulation and statistical information gathered by PwC for the Review measuring emerging trends in the Australian Communications sector.
We commissioned a number of communications and regulatory experts to write essays on the regulatory environment in which the ACMA operates. These essays provide informative background and a deeper context in relation to the changing landscape of communications.
Megan is a board member of the Media Federation of Australia, an Advisory Committee member for the Bureau of Communications Research and the Research Strategy Panel for the Australia Council.
Key books include Disability and the Media (2015; with Katie Ellis), Global Mobile Media (2011), Cell Phone Culture (2006), Virtual Nation: The Internet in Australia (2004), and, with Christopher Newell, Disability in Australia (2005) and Digital Disability (2003).
- ACMA (2011), Enduring Concepts-Communications and media in Australia
- ACMA (2011, updated 2013), Broken Concepts—The Australian communications legislative landscape
- International Telecommunications Union (2013), Competition and regulation in a converged broadband world
- New Zealand Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment / Ministry for Culture and Heritage, "Exploring Digital Convergence" 2015
- New Zealand Ministry for Culture and Heritage, Discussion Document "Content Regulation in a Converged World", 2015
- OECD (2014) Best Practice Principles on the Governance of Regulators 2014
- OECD (2014), Measuring the Digital Economy: A New Perspective
- OECD (2008), Broadband and the Economy
- World Bank (2010), Telecommunications Regulation Handbook
Australian Government departments
- ALRC Report 2012: Classification—Content Regulation and Convergent Media
- Australian Council of Learned Academies, 2015: Technology & Australia's Future
- Australian Government, 2015, Competition Policy Review
- Australian Government, 2014, Financial System Inquiry
- Australian National Audit Office, 2014, 'Administering regulation: Achieving the right balance', Better Practice Guide.
- Department of Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy, Convergence Review, 2012
- Cisco Visual Networking Index, 2014–2019, published 27 May 2015
- Downes, Larry, 2014, Managing the Big Bang: The Regulator's Dilemma, Democracy Issue #34
- Grant, A & Howarth, D 2011, Australian Telecommunications Regulation, 4th edn, CCH Australia, Sydney.
- The Hampton Report (2005), Reducing Regulatory Burden: effective inspection and enforcement
- Infrastructure Australia, 2015, Australian Infrastructure Audit, Our Infrastructure Challenges
- OzTAM, Australian Multi-Screen Report, Quarter 2, 2015
- Productivity Commission, 2014, Regulator Audit Framework
- Sparrow, Malcolm K. 2000, The Regulatory Craft: controlling risks, solving problems, and managing compliance, Brookings Institution, Washington D.C.