The Government is investing $220 million in regional communications as part of its response to the 2018 Regional Telecommunications Review.
This will be funded under the Stronger Regional Digital Connectivity Package to address recommendations outlined in the 2018 Regional Telecommunications Review: Getting it right out there.
The package will ensure Australians living in rural, remote and regional areas will have more reliable telecommunications and to maximise economic, social and public safety benefits. It includes:
- $160 million for two new rounds of the Mobile Black Spot Program
- $60 million for a new Regional Connectivity Program
- a tech hub to improve digital literacy.
The 2018 Regional Telecommunications Independent Review Committee (RTIRC) delivered its findings to the Government last September, after receiving more than 380 submissions and holding forums in 22 regional centres across the country.
Every three years an independent review is held into telecommunications services in regional, rural and remote Australia.
Find out more
- See the Minister's media release
- Visit www.rtirc.gov.au
- Read the Government response
- Read 2018 Regional Telecommunications Review: Getting it right out there.