Maritime Liability and Insurance Regimes
The Department is responsible for input into multilateral negotiations that establish and amend international liability and insurance standards for the maritime industry, as well as supporting the Australian Government's consideration of those international standards for domestic legislation.
Where appropriate, the Department manages the process of adopting those standards into Australian law.
The Department provides policy advice to Government in relation to matters such as Conventions and Protocols of the International Maritime Organization (IMO) as well as providing a conduit for Australian stakeholders to offer opinions and expertise on international matters of maritime insurance and liability to Government.
The Department is responsible for a diverse range of associated legislation including:
- Carriage of Goods by Sea Act 1991
- Limitation of Liability for Maritime Claims Act 1989
- Protection of the Sea (Civil Liability) Act 1981
- Protection of the Sea (Civil Liability for Bunker Oil Pollution Damage) Act 2008
- Protection of the Sea (Imposition of Contributions to Oil Pollution Compensation Funds—Customs) Act 1993
- Protection of the Sea (Imposition of Contributions to Oil Pollution Compensation Funds—Excise) Act 1993
- Protection of the Sea (Imposition of Contributions to Oil Pollution Compensation Funds—General) Act 1993
- Protection of the Sea (Oil Pollution Compensation Funds) Act 1993
The Department welcomes industry wide discussion and consideration of these issues and can be contacted through the following dedicated email address: