Under the Road Vehicle Standards (RVS) legislation, there are 2 approval pathways that allow vehicles to be entered on the Register of Approved Vehicles (RAV). The RAV is an online database of vehicles that have met the requirements of the RVS legislation and been approved for provision to the Australian market.
This guide explains what a vehicle type approval is, why you might need one and how to apply.
It includes information on:
- the eligibility criteria
- different application requirements for specific road vehicle types
- supporting documents that demonstrate control, and
- the approval process and time frame for deciding an application.
This guide also explains how to use results of testing to demonstrate compliance, the applicability of Australian Design Rules (ADRs) and the supporting information and documents you need to retain as a condition of your approval.
A self-assessment checklist provides a useful resource for applicants when completing their application.
The appendices cover:
- the information required when applying for a vehicle type approval
- quality management systems (QMS)
- summary of measures and actions used to demonstrate control in a QMS, and
- expectations about complying with the conditions applied to a vehicle type approval.
- Guide to vehicle type approvals PDF: 2216 KB
November 2021 – Clarification for condition of approval for approval holders that are not the manufacturer, and updated information about QMS certification to allow more than just ISO 9001.