The Road Vehicle Standards Rules 2019 (the Rules) have been amended and are now available online as Compilation 3.
The amendments relate to:
- Importation approvals during the transitional period (Part 5 of the Rules). This creates a temporary transitional import approval for certain vehicles following the repeal of the Motor Vehicle Standards Act 1989, providing industry with time to adjust to the new national road vehicle standards framework.
- Cost recovery (Part 10 of the Rules). This supports cost-recovery arrangements imposed by the Road Vehicle Standards Charges (Imposition—Excise) Act 2018, the Road Vehicle Standards Charges (Imposition—General) Act 2018 and the Road Vehicle Standards Charges (Imposition—Customs) Act 2018 (the Charging Acts), and corresponding Charging Regulations.
- Model Reports (Division 3 of Part 4 of the Rules). This ensures that Model Reports result in vehicles complying with the national road vehicle standards. The Determination made under subsection 89(2) of the Rules will set out how to decide which national Road Vehicle Standards are applicable.
- Authorised vehicle verifiers (Division 4 of Part 4 of the Rules). This clarifies that the damage or corrosion limit also applies to any repairs of damage or corrosion to vehicles being verified.
- The SEVs Register (Division 6 of Part 4 of the Rules), amendment allows applicants to apply for the entry of a make and model of a road vehicle onto the SEVs Register where all variants of the make and model meet the eligibility criteria. It removes, in these limited circumstances, the need for multiple applications for a specific make and model of a road vehicle to cover all variants.