University Vacation Employment Program
Level: APS1, salary of $46,718
Duration: November 2020 – February 2021
Location: Canberra, ACT
The Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications (the department) is looking for interns with a strong vision for Australia's future and a willingness to identify problems and implement innovative solutions.
The department is at the forefront of the Australian Government's efforts to secure the nation's economic future and improve living standards. We do this by building stronger communities through major infrastructure planning, investment advice and delivery, and through the strategic development of policies and programs. We also support a thriving aviation industry, connecting even our most remote residents with the rest of the country and the world and we work to ensure all transport users benefit from a safe and secure transport system.
We also manage some of Australia's most significant infrastructure projects, such as:
- Regulating airports
- Implementing the Smart Cities Plan
- Development of the Western Sydney International (Nancy-Bird Walton) Airport
- Development of the Inland Rail
Our University Vacation Employment Program is an internship designed to provide an opportunity for university students to experience a taste of Government with placements across all areas of the organisation. We encourage applications from all disciplines and you can be sure that your work will be contributing to the future productivity, livability and sustainability of Australia.
You will have the opportunity to:
- Gain valuable on the job experience
- Develop networking skills, contacts and social skills required in a professional environment
- Showcase your skills and knowledge in the workplace
- Develop excellent experience to assist you in applying for our Graduate Development Program (if you desire)
- Work alongside a leadership team with a vast array of subject matter expertise across a range of fields.
This is a paid internship and if successful, you will be employed on a non-ongoing (temporary) basis and receive a minimum annual base salary of $46,718 per annum (pro rata).
To be eligible for the University Vacation Employment Program, you must:
- be an Australian Citizen at the time an offer is made.
- be completing an undergraduate degree as a minimum. Applications accepted from students at any point in their study.
- be available for your placement between November 2020 and February 2021.
- be available for a minimum of 8 weeks and up to 12 weeks.
- have maintained at least a credit average.
- be able to obtain and/or maintain a Baseline security clearance.
Our positions are located in Canberra and any successful interstate candidates will be responsible for their own travel, accommodation and associated costs.
How to apply
Applications for the University Vacation Employment Program will open mid-year. Keep an eye on this page for updates.
All applications must be received through the department’s online recruitment system. If you have any questions, please contact the People Capability Team on (02) 6274 8300 or via email at Peoplecapability@infrastructure.gov.au.