Graduate Development Program
Level: APS3, $60,363 advancing to APS5, $74,667
Duration: Late Jan/early Feb 2021 to Dec 2021
Location: Canberra, ACT
2021 Graduate Development Program applications have now closed
We’re looking for fresh-thinking, innovative and high-performing graduates with a strong desire to shape Australia’s infrastructure, transport, regional development, communications and creative industries landscapes.
The Department Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Cities has recently merged with the Department of Communications and the Arts to form the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications (DITRDC).
We’re at the forefront of the Australian Government’s efforts to connect our communities, secure the nation’s economic future, improve living standards, provide access to high quality communication services and ensure all Australians can enjoy diverse artistic and cultural experiences.
We do this by building stronger communities through major infrastructure planning, investment advice and delivery, transport system reform and strategic development of policies and programs.
We also set the course for Australia’s digital future, encourage participation and excellence in arts and culture, and work on policy that supports and protects our cultural heritage.
Our Graduate Development Program
Our 11-month Graduate Development Program is a generalist program that sources talent across all academic disciplines. During our Program, you will experience:
- The opportunity to connect with a buddy from the previous year’s Graduate cohort
- An induction week to help you settle in
- A chance to work in different work areas across the department for each of your rotations
- A pay rise after successfully completing your second rotation
- A diverse range of learning and development opportunities that align to your career goals
- The responsibility of coordinating and hosting the department’s Social Club fundraising activities
- A once in a lifetime Industry Tour week with your graduate cohort, and
- An awesome graduation ceremony with the departments’ Executive!
From roads to large-scale shipping, city planning to the development of regional Australia, the department shapes the future direction of Australia. As part of our Graduate Development Program, you will be right in the thick of it as you build your career.
You'll receive a starting salary of $60,363 during your graduate year, plus 15.4% superannuation. Then after successfully completing your second rotation, you’ll advance to $66,881. Upon successful completion of the program, your ongoing salary will be $74,667.
You'll also have access to the following workplace support and conditions, including:
- 20 days of annual leave a year, and 20 days a year of personal circumstances leave
- Flexible work hours and working arrangements
- Various employee health and wellbeing initiatives
- 18 weeks paid maternity leave or 6 weeks paid supporting partner leave after 12 months of continuous service
Following the program, as a member of the department, you'll also have access to:
- Career coaching and professional development opportunities
- Consideration for financial support and paid leave to undertake further study in an area relevant to the business of the department and broader Australian Public Service
- Mobility and career progression within the organisation
What we want from you
We’re looking for motivated Graduates with a strong vision for Australia's future and a willingness to identify problems and implement innovative solutions.
We want fresh-thinkers, innovators, and high-performers. Graduates who are professional, motivated and respectful.
Working in a professional environment, the department is committed to developing your skillset and experience, to help you grow your career in the Public Service.
Before you complete your application, you should consider your eligibility (may be subject to change). To be eligible for our Program, you must:
- Be an Australian citizen
- Have completed a minimum of a three-year undergraduate degree by January of the year of the program
- Have completed your degree within the last 10 years
- Have achieved a minimum of a credit average
- Be able to obtain and maintain a baseline security clearance
- Be prepared to relocate to Canberra.
If you’re an interstate candidate and are successful in gaining a position on our Graduate Development Program, you can expect to:
- Relocate to Canberra – at our expense (terms and conditions apply)
- Receive up to three weeks’ temporary accommodation in the heart of Canberra City (terms and conditions apply
- Have your belongings moved and temporarily stored for up to three weeks while you find your new home (terms and conditions apply)