2022 Career Starter Program applications are expected to open from July 2021.
The Career Starter Program is an award winning entry level program for students who have recently completed Year 12 and is run through the Department of Finance. As a Career Starter, you will have a full time permanent job with a competitive starting salary in the Australian Public Service.
The key elements of the Career Starter Program are:
- Full time position with a competitive starting salary starting at the APS Level 1 - $50,569 per annum.
- Advancement opportunity to the APS Level 2 upon successful completion – salary increase to $57,420 per annum.
- Statement of Attainment of a Certificate IV in Government.
- Quarterly network events.
- Four weeks paid leave per year.
- Superannuation of 15.4 per cent.
- A ‘buddy’ from the previous years’ program.
To be eligible for the Career Starter Program, you must:
- Have completed your Year 12 certificate in 2020 or completing it in 2021.
- Be an Australian citizen or going to be granted Australian citizenship by November 2021 and be able to provide evidence of this.
- Be able to obtain and maintain a Baseline security clearance.
For further details, please see the Department of Finance website.
To be confirmed.
|Applications open||July 2021|
|Applications close||August 2021|
|Virtual interview||September 2021|
|Video Panel interview||September 2021|
|Process finalised||October 2021|
|Program commencement||February 2022|
If you have any queries, you can email our Entry Level Programs Team.
What do our Career Starters have to say?
Hear from some of our past Career Starters below about their time on the Career Starter Program and why Infrastructure is the place for you.
“I applied for the Career Starter program to not only get an amazing job in the Australian Public Service (APS), but I also wanted to develop strong workplace skills that are applicable to any future career path I choose undertake. Throughout my time at the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications (DITRDC), I have had the most amazing time growing, learning and becoming a more valuable member of the APS. DITRDC is even supporting me through my study goals! I couldn’t ask for anything more.”
- Oliver Witrzens
“The Career Starter Program exceeded my expectations and was a fantastic experience. The Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications offered a welcoming and supportive environment, and provided so many opportunities for me to develop my skills and start my career. I have learnt so much about the public sector and even my own interests. It is a great opportunity not to be missed.”
- Ashlee Chivers