Footscray Smart City for Social Cohesion
Maribyrnong City Council
Start date: 17 January 2019
End date: 30 June 2020
Australian Government funding:
- Victoria University
- City and community planning
- Natural environmental data and measurement (air quality, dust, noise, waterways)
- Smart lighting
- Community engagement
- Public safety
- Active lifestyle/mobility
- Smart parking
- Environmental monitoring
- People movement
- Visitor experience (information, wayfinding...)
- Internet of Things
- Augmented/Virtual reality
- Network infrastructure
- Data Management (Data platform, open data, data privacy and security, blockchains, standards)
- Wireless sensor networks
- Environmental sensors
- IT systems (interoperability)
- Cloud computing
- Online portal
The Footscray Smart City for Social Cohesion Project is a collaborative initiative that leverages smart technology and open data to deliver community value—city activation, safety, economic activity, mobility, and efficiency.
The project will deploy integrated smart technologies to directly improve city performance and citizen experience. It will also create a Social Cohesion Platform that leverages open data to catalyse ongoing innovation and smart city excellence.
Key smart technology elements include:
- smart mobility/traffic sensors and real time information;
- smart environmental monitoring;
- smart spaces and places (with Wi‐Fi, touch‐screens, smart lighting, and leisure based digital interactivity); and
- a Virtual Reality platform
Footscray is undergoing significant change. Population growth, redevelopment, gentrification, and a transitioning economy is leading to an influx of new residents, visitors, students, and businesses. Major developments will affect how people move around and the services they will want to access both from Council and Victoria University.
City performance and the citizen experience will be improved during this period of rapid change through:
- smart mobility sensors and real time information to improve travel and traffic outcomes for community
- smart environmental monitoring (noise, pollens and air quality) and real time information to improve health outcomes
- smart spaces and places (with Wi-Fi, touch screens, smart lighting, and leisure based digital interactivity) to improve city activation, safety and amenity
The collection and utilisation of big/open data to create a Social Cohesion Platform, that will inform city planning, catalyse partnership and innovation, and enhance citizen experience.
- access to real time information for travel, air quality, parking, development and consultation
- efficiency gains through better programming of essential services such as waste collections and smart lighting
- ability to analyse and catalyse the data collections in order to provide the Social Cohesion platform
The Social Cohesion platform has potential for scalability. We are still working through the final specification.
The procurement process was completed, including industry briefing, assessment of proposals, contract negotiation and execution.
A separate contract with VU, for the design and delivery of the Social Cohesion Platform, has been negotiated.
A project works schedule has been agreed between Council and the technology vendor, which is guiding installation works. Progress to date includes: finalisation of technology configuration; assessment of installation sites; engagement with key internal/external stakeholders; and the purchase of required technology.
The next steps are physical installation of the technology and testing/calibration.
Name: Zoe Blasch
Phone: 03 9688 0200