Ballarat is Open
City of Ballarat
Start date: 01 January 2019
End date: 31 May 2020
Australian Government funding:
- Federation University Australia
- City and community planning
- Innovation and economic development
- Facility and services management (buildings, energy, waste, utilities)
- Natural environmental data and measurement (air quality, dust, noise, waterways)
- Smart lighting
- Community engagement
- Public safety
- Smart waste
- Smart irrigation
- Smart amenity management
- Environmental monitoring
- Start up and innovative entrepreneurialism
- People movement
- Internet of Things
- Data Management (Data platform, open data, data privacy and security, blockchains, standards)
- Wireless sensor networks
- Environmental sensors
- 3D modeling
- Online portal
The City of Ballarat and Federation University Australia (FedUni) Ballarat is Open project will digitally enable Lake Wendouree and Ballarat’s creative district and surrounds using the internet of things, communications technologies and data sharing models for smart places, smart environment and smart industries. Data will be publicly available and allow for evidence-based decisions for future investment in infrastructure planning, waste collection, city maintenance, pedestrian and cycling infrastructure, late night activity areas, safety improvements and event planning. Ballarat is Open will enable the city, University, startups and our community to embrace opportunities presented by new technologies, support more effective use of data and collaboration.
- Siloed data is a big issue across Government and industry.
- Identify new technologies that can improve the delivery of public services.
- Open Internet of things (IoT) Network at Lake Wendouree, FedUni and Ballarat’s creative district
- City Data Model to enable effective data management publishing, access and sharing
- Data Platforms to support open data access, visualisation and analytics for evidence-based decision-making and community engagement
- Smart Places and Smart Environment pilots
- Capability and capacity building programs.
- Developing a City Data Model, open IoT Network and associated platforms will unlock new data, insights and innovation
- Using IoT technology will improve amenity, the environment and public safety at Lake Wendouree by deploying smart sensors and data networks including smart lighting, pedestrian counting, amenity and environmental monitoring solutions
- Improve water irrigation management and data collection across Ballarat CBD
- Improve capacity and capability with the Ballarat Tech School, Tech Accelerators and Startup Ballarat.
Name: Matthew Swards