Interactive City Management in Melbourne
Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology
Buckingham Reserve (Sunshine West), Westall Community Hub (Clayton South), St. Kilda Town Hall (St. Kilda), Victoria
Start date: 15 January 2018
End date: 22 May 2019
Australian Government funding:
- Brimbank City Council
- Kingston City Council
- Port Phillip City Council
- Hendry Group Pty Ltd
- Visitor experience
- Facility and services management (buildings, energy, waste, utilities)
- Natural environmental data and measurement (air quality, dust, noise, waterways)
- Community engagement
- Smart hub/precinct
- Environmental monitoring
- Smart waste (management, recycling)
- Smart building (intelligent, sustainable, management, performance)
- Smart amenity management (library, pool, BBQs, toilets...)
- Internet of Things
- Network infrastructure
- Data Management (Data platform, open data, data privacy and security, blockchains, standards)
- Environmental sensors
The purpose of this project is to install and deploy a smart sensor network infrastructure to collect data on the use of public spaces and also build an interactive platform to allow for live community feedback on facilities. This will enable improved management of services by providing evidence to target allocation of scarce resources.
Currently, most organisations in particular local governments rely on reactive or scheduled asset management processes. However, such processes are considered as being costly, inefficient and not a viable options. Thus, there has been a great emphasis in finding technological solutions to alleviate such problems.
This project aims to develop Internet of Things infrastructure solutions to maximise the usage and efficiency of public resources using smart sensors. Part of the solution incorporates the building of an interactive platform for data collection, predictive modelling of life cycle performance of assets, and to allow for live community feedback on facilities.
- Optimise cost-benefit through sustainable asset management of facilities.
- Bring intelligence into the customer experience and enhance user satisfaction.
- Provide energy data analysis and minimise environmental impact.
- Improve decision making and quality of services provided to the community.
Name: Professor Sujeeva Setunge