Vehicle Standards Bulletins
Publications in the Vehicle Standards Bulletin (VSB) series provide information on the design, manufacture, sale, modification, maintenance, import and repair of road vehicles for industry and other clients.
The term "road vehicles" includes both motor vehicles and trailers.
The series is an important way for the Vehicle Safety Standards Branch of the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development to communicate information about road vehicle matters.
The purpose of publishing the information in the VSBs is to:
- give advance notice of matters of concern;
- set out codes of practice and other standards which supplement legislative requirements;
- provide advice on road vehicle design safety and operations; and
- draw attention to information of use to persons involved with road vehicles in a range of capacities.
Note that some of the bulletins have not been prepared by the Vehicle Safety Standards Branch, but are hosted on the Department’s website as a central point of reference. Members of the Australian Motor Vehicle Certification Board and/or the Technical Liaison Group are responsible for writing a number of VSBs. Where appropriate, matters dealt with in VSBs will also have been considered by other bodies, such as the National Transport Commission and the Standing Council on Transport and Infrastructure.
Current Vehicle Standards Bulletins:
- VSB 1 - Building Small Trailers (cp) [PDF: 1288 KB] [DOC: 2232 KB]
- VSB 2 - Maximum Road Speed Limiting for Heavy Trucks and Buses (ib) [PDF: 147 KB] [DOC: 240 KB]
- VSB 3 - Vehicle Safety Recalls (pu)
- VSB 4 - Steering Conversions for Left Hand Drive Vehicles (cp) [PDF: 315 KB]
- VSB 5A - Commercial Manufacture and Installation of Additional Seats (cp) [PDF: 104 KB] DOC: 147 KB]
- VSB 5B - Construction and Installation of Additional Seats by Individuals (cp) [PDF: 930 KB] [DOC: 1957 KB]
- VSB 6 - Heavy Vehicle Modifications (cp)
- VSB 7A - Design Parameters Necessary for Compliance with ADR 59/00 - Part A (cp) [PDF: 1290 KB]
- VSB 7B - Design Parameters Necessary for Compliance with ADR 59/00 - Part B (cp) [PDF: 1063 KB]
- VSB 10 - Importing Vehicles to Australia (ib)
- VSB 11 - Certification of Road-Friendly Suspensions [PDF: 299 KB]
- VSB 12 - Rear Marking Plates - Issued by the Western Australian Government / Vehicle Safety Branch [PDF: 270 KB]
- VSB 14 - National Code of Practice for Light Vehicle Construction and Modification (NCOP)
The Australian Design Rules (ADR) set standards for vehicle safety, anti-theft and emissions for road vehicles, whether manufactured in Australia or imported as new or second hand vehicles. Please click on the link to access the ADRs.
- (cp) = Code of Practice
- (ib) = Information Booklet
- (pu) = Periodic Update